What's new

Which 8'' tablet for the gym?

zicoz

Hi, I am a happy owner of a Surface 2 Pro, but I am looking for a smaller tablet that I can bring t the gym to logg my workouts, and for music over Bluetooth, anyone got a recommendation for a tablet for this use, or am I better off waiting for the Surface mini?

benjitek

What apps are you planning to use? Probably best to research that first; then decide on hardware.

bertopl

I got my eye on the Thinkpad 8. I don't think you can use a stylus with it which I don't use much on the Surface anyways. Haven't seen the model with 4G / LTE built-in on Lenovo's site yet though.

OP
Z

zicoz

I am currently,using GymWolf on my WP8-Device, but I am also using the Bing Health app on my SP2 to track my food, and I know that that app has a workout tracker as well. My biggest issue with GymWolf is that it does not have an easy way to check how much I lifted for each excecise the last workout.

kristalsoldier

Hi, I am a happy owner of a Surface 2 Pro, but I am looking for a smaller tablet that I can bring t the gym to logg my workouts, and for music over Bluetooth, anyone got a recommendation for a tablet for this use, or am I better off waiting for the Surface mini?

Probably better off waiting for the Surface Mini - unless, of course, you want a cheaper device. While I am not into going to gyms etc. I do need a smaller tablet that I can use as a dedicated e-reader (with some extra capabilities). Currently, I use an iPad4 (and it works brilliantly especially because of some of the apps that I use). But it would be nice to have a Surface device that I could use. Two big deterrents in my case though - (1) the apps that I use on the iPad are excellent and I have not yet found equivalents in the Windows eco-system (well, at least in the RT-driven store); and, (2) the aspect ratio of the iPad is excellent for reading, which is not something that I expect to find emulated in the Surface mini (but one can hope, right?).

In your use-case, I don't think the second point is a problem. The only question is whether you can find the necessary apps for your workouts. I guess there is one other thing you have to consider. Do you actually want the full x86 Windows version on the smaller tablet?

bertopl

I've been watching for the thinkpad 8 too but reading around, it looks like lenovo is having some serious order fulfillment issues last time I was reading about it. lots of people seem to be waiting a long time for their orders to ship and expected ship dates are jumping around randomly. the LTE and even the 128GB option isnt available last few times I checked but the real deal breaker for me is the USB port. I read that since the single USB port also acts as the charging port, you cant simultaneously charge at your desk while having your USB devices attached to the tablet. seems like a strange design choice.