What's new

Who's getting one?

BerryAl

I'd like to if i can fit in my budget. Got a 256gb pro 2 at the moment, and it's great, but it's not without its flaws.

Would like to see:
- Improved GPU capabilities
- Kickstand improvements
- Battery and heat improvements
- larger screen and/or higher res panel
- improved type cover, especially the trackpad! the trackpad on the type cover 2 is utter trash imo

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to if i can fit in my budget. Got a 256gb pro 2 at the moment, and it's great, but it's not without its flaws.

Would like to see:
- Improved GPU capabilities
- Kickstand improvements
- Battery and heat improvements
- larger screen and/or higher res panel
- improved type cover, especially the trackpad! the trackpad on the type cover 2 is utter trash imo
You just described upgrading to the SP3 except for the GPU....

pureAXIS

I'm definitely interested in a 14 in surface pro. The ipad pro has a bigger footprint than the SP3 so size shouldn't be an issue as long as they shrink the bezel down.

Other features I want:
- 4k UHD display, if the rumored dell XPS12 clone can have a 4k screen I don't see why the SP4 can't
- thinner profile, should be possible given the larger size
- 2x USB type-C and display port
- full size SD card slot
- better type cover, both ipad pro and the Lenovo clone have better keys
- better GPU and CPU are a given

LuckyL

Thing is... Windows 10 is forever (so they say) so I guess you'll never be upgrading! :eek:

:)

In the state Windows 10 is now, yes, I would never upgrade - I could however switch back to Mac OS. I still have to get my hands on El Capitan though.

I will wait for the actual SP4 release at which point I believe the first Windows 10 update is expected and test it. If it's still not not working out for me by then, I will either try to snap up a Surface Pro 3 (8.1) at bargain basement price or end my Windows excursion and get a MacBook Retina.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thing is... Windows 10 is forever (so they say) so I guess you'll never be upgrading! :eek:
Next year we will get the equivalent of Windows 10.1 even if it's not called that although I suspect it will be... Deja vu all over again. ;)

In the year 2525 if Windows is still alive if Microsoft can survive... we may find... Windows 10.510 :D

Last edited:

Kif

SP4 should have an option of Windows 8.1 instead of 10. It likely wont but it should.

Windows 8.1 is dead. It's a tainted brand that Microsoft can't run away from fastest enough. The best you could hope for is that Windows 10 adopts more of the features you liked in Win 8.1.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 8.1 is dead. It's a tainted brand that Microsoft can't run away from fastest enough. The best you could hope for is that Windows 10 adopts more of the features you liked in Win 8.1.
It's true that 8/8.1 were uncomfortable to the majority of users stuck in the non-touch *desktop* world. However, any of the "Start Menu" solutions fixed 98% of that issue and you could nearly never see the Start Screen. Windows 10 appears to be no more effective in that regard but you can get "Start 10" to get your Windows 7 menus back if that's what you want. Still, other differences make W10 a larger departure if pure consistency is what you're after.

In the touch world W10 has a long way to go yet which makes it a bad choice for Surface users and other Windows tablet users that use them as tablets. Again if you run in desktop mode with keyboard/trackpad/mouse attached or the device docked you'll do alright with adjustments.

There's no question from a total numbers perspective with regard to installed Windows systems that Windows tablets are a drop in the bucket so it makes sense that W10 started where it did, focusing on the *Desktop*. It's just too incomplete. Maybe the November update will fix that but I doubt it, more likely it will take W10.10 (Redstone IIRC) late next year to bring it up to snuff. We'll see.

Even the touch interface of 8.1 as a "second effort" is unrefined. However, in no way does W10 at this point represent a refinement of touch over 8.1. At best Id call it a reboot of Touch and half-assed unfinished mess deserving of a release level less than 1.0.

Agreed that 8/8.1 was much maligned publicly and suffers from a largely undeserved bad reputation. One analyst after nine months declared an epiphany and recanted his panning of Win 8 calling it quite good for tablet use. Most never took the time.

If it's possible I will install 8.1 on SP4 assuming Touch remains in the expected state until Q3-Q4 2016.

Side note: If I wanted an Android Tablet, which is heavily parroted by W10, I'd use the one I already have or just buy a new one.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All will be answered on October 6 and I will finally be able to talk :)

snip_20150914080914.png

mtalinm

this might be the first Surface i don't buy on launch day. really on the fence.

not a fan of win10, but I doubt there is a path back to 8.1.
something tells me they will slow down skylake chip to make it fanless. i need speed.
14" might have a faster chip (fan), but at that size it is unusable in portrait mode so I might as well get a laptop with a better keyboard.

i also worry that they will make these 4k screens for the spec sheet, but that will just drain the battery. screen is plenty sharp already, Panos!

lastly, I've been quite disappointed as to the build quality of the SP3. I've had to replace the unit 3x for various reasons (no audio, won't drive external monitor), have reset the machine at least that often, and have had to use the Sony recalibration tool twice when parts of the touchscreen stopped working.

Last edited: