What's new

Who's getting one?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not me any more :p

Since the iPad pro was announced there seems to be a huge number of new account new owners with bricked surfaces all claiming instability and waste of money and brick and unstable. Clearly these are not devices we can trust... Better just buy an iPad.

:D

Am I the only one who has noticed that. There is the bloke running into every thread to cry about his bricked device then praise his dependable iPad :)

GoodBytes

The bigger the better is my thinking
You are right!

giantsurface.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Imagine using this on the bus or train. Hours of fun!

bluegrass

I might wait to get the 14" - 16 gig ram 1 terabyte ssd version. Don't know it this high end will be released with the rest of the models or not. I'm getting ready to go full time RVing and want this for my main "driver".

BearFlag

I can't wait for a 14" model. I definitely prefer the bigger screen size. If they don't release a 14" model I might consider getting the Thinkpad Yoga 460.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I really wouldn't know what to get! I like big versions for desktop use, and small versions for tablet use... seeing as though Microsoft won't give us a Surface Mini, I'd probably settle for whatever's in the middle (i.e. the current Surface Pro 3 size)

crezam

I'm a developer and I really think 14 inch would make a difference. It's still not terribly big, but it gives you some valuable extra horizontal space so your lines of code don't get wrapped. It would be interesting to see if they keep the 3:2 aspect ratio. The idea that it resembles a piece of paper is the genius of it IMO. Using it it in portrait mode for notes is perfect the way it is today.
The other important thing would be if it comes fanless with Skylake CPU. No more overheating or noise, and not worrying about battery life. I stream a lot to my Wireless Display Adaptor and that drains my battery. As a matter of fact, I'm going to research if there is anything I can do because since I got Windows 10 I have noticed the battery doesn't last that long. If someone knows please I would really appreciate some clues...
In summary: if 14 inch + Skylake + fan-less, its a go for me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
if 14 inch + Skylake + fan-less, its a go for me.
Close ... so close... 15w in that form factor will burn up without a fan.

It's the "Surface Heat-Transfer Law of Physics". Any 10-15W CPU in an enclosed tablet 7-9 mm thick will generate more heat than can be dissipated by convection/conduction alone and will require mechanical or electromechanical heat transfer augmentation. :D

crezam

Close ... so close... 15w in that form factor will burn up without a fan.

It's the "Surface Heat-Transfer Law of Physics". Any 10-15W CPU in an enclosed tablet 7-9 mm thick will generate more heat than can be dissipated by convection/conduction alone and will require mechanical or electromechanical heat transfer augmentation. :D
Haha, yes you might be right. Maybe that opens the market for a new accesory: Refrigeration Pro Case. All i know is there is rumours that it might even use Broadwell chips without fans, which is even worse. I guess, we'll find out Tuesday, cannot wait...

ChiGGz

I'm a developer and I really think 14 inch would make a difference. It's still not terribly big, but it gives you some valuable extra horizontal space so your lines of code don't get wrapped.

14" won't necessarily mean you'll get line wrapping. It's more a function of resolution. That said if MS can increase the screen to 14" by reducing the bezel and keeping the size increase to a minimum, then I'll have a hard time holding onto my money!

But I'm skeptical of a fanless solution. I run my SP3 pretty hard and I feel better knowing the fan is doing its best to keep it cool. I'd be afraid that without a fan, throttling will become an even bigger issue than it was with the SP3.

crezam

14" won't necessarily mean you'll get line wrapping. It's more a function of resolution. That said if MS can increase the screen to 14" by reducing the bezel and keeping the size increase to a minimum, then I'll have a hard time holding onto my money!

But I'm skeptical of a fanless solution. I run my SP3 pretty hard and I feel better knowing the fan is doing its best to keep it cool. I'd be afraid that without a fan, throttling will become an even bigger issue than it was with the SP3.
I agree with you 100%. I meant that if they go the 14 inches route it might come with an increase in resolution. I think they will want to compete hard with the 2732-by-2048 of the iPad Pro.
By the way, I spoke to a guy from the Microsoft Store today doing some research about trade in (just in case ;) ). He said that right now there is nothing but a recycling buyback, but when the SP4 comes out most likely there will be a limited time trade in for SP3s that is 'generous'. He said when SP3 came out it lasted 1 week and he remembers it was 'generous' but didn't give me details. It would be interesting if anyone knows more about it to post here. That might help us out a little bit if we bite for the SP4 ....

mtalinm

why would they do a 14" version if the current form factor will be redone to have a 13" bezel-free screen? or maybe it will be a 15" with a truly lappable keyboard dock in which case sign me up!

Thurrott tweets: "Potential rumor on the new hardware: 14-inch Surface 2-in-1 with Retina-class screen, dual GPUs, keyboard base with ports. Is it real? Hm."