What's new

Who's getting one?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

The Surface Pro 4 is still a solid option, and I am tempted to just go for that... but I just want the new shiny device lol, and more importantly don't want to buy an 18 month old device. Even a spec bump might have convinced me otherwise.

If the UK had burgundy option I'd probably end up going for the 8Gb model, so that's a poor decision by Microsoft! Still, updating my original post, it does seem like the UK is the getting the same release date as the US so at least that's good. i7 isn't coming until August though!

I just find it odd that the Surface Laptop has a touch screen and the pen options. Without the ability to flip the screen back, how will you ever use the pen?

The SP4 seems like a much more versatile device, but you're right... it IS 18 months old at this point. And yet, I'm typing this from a 5-year old MacBook Pro which, despite a lower screen resolution and bulky weight, still works flawlessly (i7, 8GB, 128GB SSD).

So yeah, does one really need the latest model? And let's say you'd get a SP4 or SL, which one would you even get at this point?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

That's true about the pen, but I hardly ever used it anyway so isn't a big issue for me.

In all honestly my original Surface Pro still works perfectly... I certainly don't need a new computer, but sometimes you just want a new gadget don't you ;) well that, and the fact I've upgraded every 4 years since my first computer in 1997! OCD tells me it's time for a new one lol.

I'm glad to be moving on to a bigger screen, as because of now having a baby at home, we need to move things around and I might end up losing my external monitor! (and desk, but that's another story altogether)

Does anyone have information on the i5 processor that'll be in these machines? Interested to see the comparison to the 3rd generation. Also, I'm not up-to-date with RAM these days... will there be any advancements there over what we had 4 years ago?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's true about the pen, but I hardly ever used it anyway so isn't a big issue for me.

In all honestly my original Surface Pro still works perfectly... I certainly don't need a new computer, but sometimes you just want a new gadget don't you ;) well that, and the fact I've upgraded every 4 years since my first computer in 1997! OCD tells me it's time for a new one lol.

I'm glad to be moving on to a bigger screen, as because of now having a baby at home, we need to move things around and I might end up losing my external monitor! (and desk, but that's another story altogether)

Does anyone have information on the i5 processor that'll be in these machines? Interested to see the comparison to the 3rd generation. Also, I'm not up-to-date with RAM these days... will there be any advancements there over what we had 4 years ago?

Original SP i5-3317U
S Laptop i5-7200U
Comparisons:
Intel Core i5 3317U vs 7200U

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-3317U vs i5-7200U

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/85...5-3317U_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-7200U.html

Memory:
Surface Pro: DDR3-1600 (25.6 GB/sec)
Surface Lap: LPDDR3-1866 bandwidth not reported (source Anandtech)

convergent

Heavily debating it. I want a sleek looking laptop for my consultancy business and I need to replace my bulky 2012 MacBook Pro.

HOWEVER... why not just get the Surface Pro 4? Seems just as good and it's at a discount right now...

I am a long time Mac user, and just bought a SP4. I love the thing and would recommend that approach. If you do consulting, there are a lot of things the SP4 would give you as benefit... ability to work on a plane during takeoff and landing... using as a tablet to present... pen input into OneNote for taking notes during a meeting. These are the 3 things I really was interested in and it delivers. Also, when you are in your office you can dock it and use it as a dedicated note taking device while your external display, keyboard, and mouse are your interface for other work.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Original SP i5-3317U
S Laptop i5-7200U
Comparisons:
Intel Core i5 3317U vs 7200U

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-3317U vs i5-7200U

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/85...5-3317U_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-7200U.html

Memory:
Surface Pro: DDR3-1600 (25.6 GB/sec)
Surface Lap: LPDDR3-1866 bandwidth not reported (source Anandtech)

Let it be known that you're the man :D

My personal favourite quote from all those links is:

Intel Core i5-3317U advantages
  • None
Still seems like a solid improvement from what I'm currently using then...

I am a long time Mac user, and just bought a SP4. I love the thing and would recommend that approach. If you do consulting, there are a lot of things the SP4 would give you as benefit... ability to work on a plane during takeoff and landing... using as a tablet to present... pen input into OneNote for taking notes during a meeting. These are the 3 things I really was interested in and it delivers. Also, when you are in your office you can dock it and use it as a dedicated note taking device while your external display, keyboard, and mouse are your interface for other work.

Yup, that sounds exactly spot on for me. You aren't encountering any battery life issues? The Surface Laptop supposedly has much better battery life, but of course that remains to be practically tested...

Also, what is the REAL gain for i5 vs i7 on either of these devices?

I mean, I have an i7 on my MacBook Pro, because I heard it's generally a smart upgrade when it comes to overall performance. I never do any graphic design (okay, Canva and Pixlr - and I could see myself editing some light video), but I have absolutely no patience for loading times or choppy behaviour.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, that sounds exactly spot on for me. You aren't encountering any battery life issues? The Surface Laptop supposedly has much better battery life, but of course that remains to be practically tested...

I mean, I have an i7 on my MacBook Pro, because I heard it's generally a smart upgrade when it comes to overall performance. I never do any graphic design (okay, Canva and Pixlr - and I could see myself editing some light video), but I have absolutely no patience for loading times or choppy behaviour.

i5 vs i7 but... not the 7660 just 7600 so it has the same HD Graphics 620 as the i5.
CPU only comparison.
UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-7200U vs i7-7600U

I see no benchmarks on the i7-7660U or Iris Plus 640 graphics.

Basically you get +10% CPU performance
The graphics performance should be a more substantial increase.
HD Graphics 620 - 24 execution units @ 300 - 1050 (Boost) MHz 64/128 Bit
Iris Plus 640 - - - - 48 execution units @ 300 - 1050 (Boost) MHz 64/128 Bit

FFX

If I could buy a Surface Laptop for $999, I would already have pre-ordered.

The entry price is $1300 for a Surface Laptop in my country.

mva5580

I have no idea why anyone would buy one honestly.

$1000 freaking dollars for an i5/4gb/128gb laptop is ridiculous, but they've obviously gone the Apple route of overpricing all of their devices to make them feel more "premium" or whatever. And the i7/16gb/512gb version is $2,200. What a joke.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea why anyone would buy one honestly.

$1000 freaking dollars for an i5/4gb/128gb laptop is ridiculous, but they've obviously gone the Apple route of overpricing all of their devices to make them feel more "premium" or whatever. And the i7/16gb/512gb version is $2,200. What a joke.
You add the keyboard to the current Surface Pro 4 and they are essentially the same price although the SP4 pricing is discounted from it's original pricing. Other vendors of course have devices at other price points. these are Apple priced and you might say the intended audience is the students buying Mac Books, Mac Book Airs, and some Pros.

convergent

I have not done enough traveling with the SP4 to assess battery life, but I also have always traveled with an external battery pack for recharging when I go on long haul flights. So while it would be better to have a few more hours of life, I can usually get a recharge where I'm at through the day.

For i5 vs i7... unless you are doing something like video encoding, I don't think the i7 is necessary. I run Lightroom on the SP4 with very large RAW files and it seems to be similar speed to my Mac Mini that I have been using. So I go the i5 with 8G. I would have liked more SSD, but will just go with internal or microSD if I need more.