What's new

Why does the Surface Pro 3 get a bad rap in the media? My take.

Yeah, a positive launch of Windows 10 would help a lot. It's the same situation between Vista and Win 7. Things got a little dire until Win 7 came along and re-established the Windows brand. The windows App store really needs to be improved as well. However that's a chicken and the egg problem. Which comes first lots of users or lots of applications.
Which comes first lots of users or lots of applications... Lots of money to build/buy/pay for lots of applications :)

in a different environment you could wait for it to materialize naturally, but not in this environment.

Last edited:
Which comes first lots of users or lots of applications... Lots of money to build/buy/pay for lots of applications :)

in a different environment you could wait for it to materialize naturally, but not in this environment.

I'm afraid at this point even money isn't going to do it. I'm wonder if adding support for Android App creation in Visual Studio is a move to help promote cross porting applications between the two platforms.

Even Microsoft's own offerings in the App Store are pitiful. :(

again your focusing on app store when you have a PLETHORA of X86 programs! why? why focus on how much is in the app store when there is so much stuff out there! too much of apple/google mentality !!!

I'm afraid at this point even money isn't going to do it. I'm wonder if adding support for Android App creation in Visual Studio is a move to help promote cross porting applications between the two platforms.

As I have opined before, they should invest a Billion dollars in Apps to get the breadth and depth of Apps available for the platform. Pay companies to build quality Apps. Relying on anything else isn't getting it done.

Attachments

• BN-FO462_Keywor_G_20141116150543.jpg
    BN-FO462_Keywor_G_20141116150543.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 382
The only thing I prefer in the iPad is battery life and that's about it. I really wish Microsoft would release a power cover for the SP3; I know the one for the SP2 will work but I don't like the fact that it won't protect the entire screen when closed and in my bag... personal preference. I visit an Apple forum now and then mainly because I like to stay up to date on tech and what's going on. It is so funny to read threads regarding the SP3, they go out of their way to bash it but if Apple were to release a carbon copy of it (I wouldn't be surprised if they do in the next few years), it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I hate to generalize (but I'm gonna :D ), Apple fans just seem so hell bent on ripping anything that is not Apple... especially if it's a Microsoft product. Most of them won't even acknowledge useful features in other products; it's like they have to tear it apart to justify their purchases to themselves. The latest iPhone cracks me up, for years they bashed the Samsung's with the larger screen saying it was silly, unnecessary and unruly. Now that Apple has released it, they protest that it's the best iPhone ever... the funny part is most of the specs of the phone is the same that was in the Nexus 4 from 2012. For the record I've owned an iPad, 3 different iPhones, Apple TV and a few iPods. Apple does make some great products no doubt and I have no problem appreciating them but I've slowly been getting away from them as I find myself wanting more control over my devices and access to more customization.

again your focusing on app store when you have a PLETHORA of X86 programs! why? why focus on how much is in the app store when there is so much stuff out there! too much of apple/google mentality !!!

Because x86 programs run horribly in tablet mode. If all I wanted to do is run x86 programs give me a good ultra-book or laptop with no touch screen please.

well that's where the hybrid of SP3 comes into play and you can use mouse/keyboard and also so far I haven't had any trouble with x86 apps using in tablet mode... except 1 game and that is the mouse trouble being overly touchy... also no one is saying just to use X86 programs but stop with the mentality of the bloody app store! it isn't the BE ALL END ALL solution...

As I have opined before, they should invest a Billion dollars in Apps to get the breadth and depth of Apps available for the platform. Pay companies to build quality Apps. Relying on anything else isn't getting it done.

Agree 100%. A lot of users on this thread keep mentioning that they are happy running x86 programs on tablet mode and that they can do so much more with the SP3 tablet. That might be true but I think a lot of people would also love to have more native touch apps. I think if Microsoft invested more in app development it would be a win win for both the company and its consumers.

well that's where the hybrid of SP3 comes into play and you can use mouse/keyboard and also so far I haven't had any trouble with x86 apps using in tablet mode... except 1 game and that is the mouse trouble being overly touchy... also no one is saying just to use X86 programs but stop with the mentality of the bloody app store! it isn't the BE ALL END ALL solution...

I don't use many desktop programs and use my SP3 as a tablet 98% of the time so for me at least, apps are very important. I get by but more apps for metro would be highly appreciated by me at least.

When I do use desktop programs, I don't really like the interface (text on the desktop and in most programs is TINY) much and I definitely prefer metro apps..

I like to say that my SP3 replaced my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (with Bluetooth keyboard), but actually it replaced my Lenovo laptop as well. I didn't need a tablet so much as I needed a highly portable machine with long battery life and keyboard input, and I got that with the SP3. It is my primary non-work machine. For use in tablet mode (which I don't use as often as I should) I've adapted most of my work habits to Modern apps, but I usually use it as a laptop.

And also the pen! Especially when I'm on a plane in a cramped space, the mouse is not an option; rather, I turn to the pen.

I've gone on record numerous times for stating that I'm sold on the Modern UI and, slowly but surely, I continue to migrate to Modern UI apps. As soon as I find the Modern UI version (or functionally-equivalent alternative), I make the switch.

I find that some people just need to stop, think, and assess the state of the Windows world rationally. Let's say that even if Windows 8 and the MUI were runaway successes and there was 100% instant adoption, Desktop apps would still dominate; that balance isn't and wouldn't change overnight because we've had 30 years of Desktop UI apps. It's unrealistic to expect MUI apps to be the dominant type of apps in the near- or short-time; it will take a lot of time. Moreover, it should not be forgotten that some apps are most effectively- and productively-used with a keyboard/mouse; thus, rewriting them to be touch-centric would be counterproductive.

Those who purchase a Surface Pro (or any other touchscreen Windows type of PC, for that matter) should not expect the ability to abandon their Desktop apps overnight; this transition will take lots of time, so no need for the constant criticism regarding the number of apps in the Windows Store.

On the other hand, if you do want to transition overnight and use Modern UI apps exclusively, then buy the regular Surface device. Then it will be fair game for you to constantly complain about the number of apps in the Windows Store.

Back