What's new

WiFi fix coming in September

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Wasn't aware of that, after switching to 5 Ghz I haven't encountered any problems, so I thought it was universal. Sorry if I mislead.
No problem, the whole issue is complex. Users with dual band routers that are sharing the same SSID are having problems. 5G is not working properly in certain routers if the high channels are used. In other cases users are getting the "limited" error without any clear reason. There are some routers like the NetojearR7000 that works fine but the speed is not passing the 500 Mbps, and when you disconnect the device the speed is reduced to less than 75 Mbps. Just to mention some of the issues.

DanL

The Wifi issue in SP3 does not have anything to do with BT but with Power Management.

I've noticed people complaining about this in other forums. Not just Surface Pro 3 but a variety of products including the routers themselves. Some people are even blaming the routers.

It all seems to center around "power management". Battery power, power saving, etc...

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I've noticed people complaining about this in other forums. Not just Surface Pro 3 but a variety of products including the routers themselves. Some people are even blaming the routers.

It all seems to center around "power management". Battery power, power saving, etc...
Well, I should not have said "Power Management" because that's just part of the problem.

JimB

If it turns out to be an unfixable hardware issue the least they could do is turn on airplane mode on and off behind the scenes.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

If it turns out to be an unfixable hardware issue the least they could do is turn on airplane mode on and off behind the scenes.
I don't think that that's going to be the case because with some configuration changes in the router and Wifi driver we can go around the issue. The same MS released a driver that worked fine and that later was replaced with a newer one that does not work too well.

mmoran27

I get this all the time with mine on both 2.4 an 5Ghz channels. It does not matter. The surface wakes to find no available wifi adapters. I have to go to device manager to disable / enable to fix. Sometimes that does not work a reboot is necessary. I have never had to do this with any other manufacturer I and work in IT so I know a bad design when I see it.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I get this all the time with mine on both 2.4 an 5Ghz channels. It does not matter. The surface wakes to find no available wifi adapters. I have to go to device manager to disable / enable to fix. Sometimes that does not work a reboot is necessary. I have never had to do this with any other manufacturer I and work in IT so I know a bad design when I see it.
I can remember exactly if this was the fix for your case but I think it was: enable Hyper v that will disable Connected Standby and will give you access to the advance options of the power plan.

Capture.JPG

One of them is to allow the device to turn off the adapter to save battery, disable that. Once you do that you need to disable Hyper-V to get back connected Standby. To enable and disable Hyper V you can use

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

And

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

mmoran27

Again the end user should not have to do this so WiFi reliably works all the time.

Imagine walking up to your car and trying to get in to go some where but there are no doors.

Kind of like trying to use surface with no network card.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Again the end user should not have to do this so WiFi reliably works all the time.

Imagine walking up to your car and trying to get in to go some where but there are no doors.

Kind of like trying to use surface with no network card.
I agree. But at least we don't have anybody coming to tell us that we don't know how to hold it.;)

double07

MICROSOFT!!! please get your act together and fix the WIFI. One of the reason I returned the first i5 version was Wifi frustration. I decided that get the i7 version on Aug 1, and WiFi was working flawless until some update that took place on mid Aug. The last week or so my SF3 is starting to experience lost WiFi out of no where. The device simply said, your device doesn't have wireless device. I was like, what are you talking about? I was just using it and put it down for 10-15 min and BAM.. no wifi. I had to reboot to get everything back. I am starting to get frustrated again....