What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

bluegrass

Wish I knew how to do that stuff. Isn't that (VS) how you write programs for windows apps?

It's not a very good practice to operate off a battery and walk away from your computer for a long time. If I was on a trip or going to be away from AC for a long time, I would definitely shut my computer off when I wasn't on it doing something.

dniezby

This is completely YOUR work case from YOUR point of view. Everyone is different, and things happen sometimes. Just because YOU don't find any value in hibernation, doesn't mean that there isn't any.

Yup, that's what I said. In humble opinion.
Apparently, some one needs to watch, "The Internship". Click the "log in" button to save your work.
It's not hard. Develop good work practices and you will NEVER use Hibernate again.

bluegrass

"And the reason Hibernate is important for me, is that unlike the schizophrenic battery draining sleep mode, the machine actually stays OFF until I turn it on. And Hibernate restoration is super-fast on these computers due to the SSD, and Windows 8.1."

I don't want to get in a pissin' contest here, I just want to convey what's common sense. Just for S&G I timed how long it takes from my usual shut down mode to get to the password prompt. It took 10 seconds.

I didn't time hibernation to password prompt because just the thought of hibernating my machine runs chills up and down my back. It doesn't seem to me to be worth hibernating or sleeping my machine when I'm not going to use if for awhile.

If I was worried about running down the battery, shutting it down would prolong it even more then sleep or hibernation.

ynohtna

Can someone please explain to me what hyper v exactly is in laymen terms? will turning it off solve my missing wifi problems? if so, how do I do it?

If you're asking you probably don't have it installed! It's a feature that needs to be added.

Could someone explain to me why hibernation is so important for them. I never use it but if I did, I would turn off if I knew it caused me a lot of grief. I might also mention that I have a high tolerance for pain and I'm a very low upkeep type of guy.

I use Hibernation to preserve my workspace for the next day. After working all day and you're not done something, Hibernate, then wake up next day and everything is still where you left it. Awesome :)

I normally use sleep for that but no sleep with Hyper-V. I use hyper-V mainly to VPN to my work network while keeping the SP3 on my home network.

In regards to wifi, I never actually lost the device, but many times I come back to my wifi adapter in this state
Ethernet adapter vEthernet (VM-WIFI):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.195.69
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I fix it by turning off wifi from charms menu and turning it back on after a period of time.

I'm connected to an ASUS RT-N66U wifi and DCHP is managed by a PFSenselaptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I knew how to do that stuff. Isn't that (VS) how you write programs for windows apps?
Yes, Visual Studio is an Integrated Development Environment that allows you to create Modern UI Apps, Winform Apps (Win32), Web Applications and with the right plugins iOS and Android Apps as well

dniezby

"And the reason Hibernate is important for me, is that unlike the schizophrenic battery draining sleep mode, the machine actually stays OFF until I turn it on. And Hibernate restoration is super-fast on these computers due to the SSD, and Windows 8.1."

I don't want to get in a pissin' contest here, I just want to convey what's common sense. Just for S&G I timed how long it takes from my usual shut down mode to get to the password prompt. It took 10 seconds.

I didn't time hibernation to password prompt because just the thought of hibernating my machine runs chills up and down my back. It doesn't seem to me to be worth hibernating or sleeping my machine when I'm not going to use if for awhile.

If I was worried about running down the battery, shutting it down would prolong it even more then sleep or hibernation.

Hmm, well then maybe I'm getting the terms mixed up. Mine doesn't seem to use battery and I tap the button on top and it wakes up to password / pin really fast. When I need to finish working on something, I save the file but I don't close the file. I simply tap the power button on the top and it goes off.

I thought that was sleep. Am I mixing up the terms? Am I actually a fan of Hibernate instead?

No pissing contest. This is how people like me learn and hopefully contribute. Don't sweat it. I certainly don't take any offense.

ScottyS

I don't believe you. Everyone I know with a sp3 and 2 have had this same no network problem.
I had the surface pro 2 and had the same issue. . .

I agree. The 9/9 updates did not fix my problems, "Limited" connection at work or no network found. My SP1 never had a problem, my iPhone and iPad connect at work everyplace, and I've had this same problem with two SP3s.

Pepper

Regarding the WiFi issue, I notice a Network Bridge. What is this for? None of my other Windows 8.1 computers have it.

Telstar1948

Just to add to the cacophony, I reset my SP3 after having it a few days. It suddenly started losing WiFi when coming out of sleep. I didn't have it loaded up with all my stuff yet so I did a recovery, loaded the updates again & then put all my stuff in place. Since the reset I've not lost WiFi one time. So... more for the WiFi issue mix...

Eon

Also started getting WiFi issues out of sleep after the latest update. Hardly had any problems before.

I deleted and uninstalled the wlan driver through device manager and reinstalled from MS download centre:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Along with plenty of restarts in between steps and firmware reset (volt up + power button for at least 15 seconds when off*) everything seems fine again.

Might be save you having to do a reset

*I was actually forced to do this, because after reinstalling and restarting, I got a driver update through Windows. I shut it down to update but it wouldn't turn back on again after!

As much as I love the SP3, I am a bit disappointed with amount of fiddling I've had to do with drivers and such. Previously my SP3 would always crash during sleep, but I was able to fix that with a firmware reset.