What's new

September Patch Tuesday - No WiFi Fix for SP3

Pepper

I deleted the network bridge and re-enabled everything but the multiplexor protocol on the WiFi adapter.
Now it seems things are working normally (cross fingers!)
If I plug my USB Ethernet+hub and cable, it configures and works and uses its faster connection primarily, when disconnected WiFi is working again.
I have not seen any blue screen, limited connection or disappeared WiFi adapter since doing that earlier today.
If it persists in working for a while, I will try Hyper-V again, since it's the primary reason I went with 8GB instead of 4.

Edit: spoke too soon. WiFi was flaky when I got home, a quick trip to airplane mode and back to normal.

Last edited:

ScottyS

Against my better judgment, I'm going to give the thing a complete restore in the next day or two. I really hate doing so, because of the time involved, but I just have to see if it will "fix" it. If it doesn't...this thing is getting replaced.
This is my 2nd SP3 and both have WiFi & BT problems.
I waited before doing a restore to see if the Sept. update fixed it, but since the 9/9 firmware update didn't fix it, I'm thinking of doing it. Look forward to see if it fixed it for you.

(just curious, if it fixes it will you turn off Automatic Updates to avoid having it happen again?)

mohcho

I updated my SP3 with most recent update against my better judgement and was pleasantly surprised that my slow wifi issues have been completely resolved now. Right now at home, I'm connected at 270 + Mbps which is the fastest I've ever connected with either of the original SP3 I had and the current one I received as a warranty replacement. At work, the speeds are also well above 150 Mbps which was rare because before the update, I wouldn't get anything over 65 Mbps at work or at home on battery.

The sleep/wake issue is not a problem at all either. I ran on battery today at work and ran into a meeting for a few hours and when I came back it was in sleep mode and came back up quickly and everything was still connected.

I have not modified this SP3 in any way either, so the hyper-v switch is untouched.

mcsenerd

I updated my SP3 with most recent update against my better judgement and was pleasantly surprised that my slow wifi issues have been completely resolved now. Right now at home, I'm connected at 270 + Mbps which is the fastest I've ever connected with either of the original SP3 I had and the current one I received as a warranty replacement. At work, the speeds are also well above 150 Mbps which was rare because before the update, I wouldn't get anything over 65 Mbps at work or at home on battery.

The sleep/wake issue is not a problem at all either. I ran on battery today at work and ran into a meeting for a few hours and when I came back it was in sleep mode and came back up quickly and everything was still connected.

I have not modified this SP3 in any way either, so the hyper-v switch is untouched.

Thanks for the report Mocho. For me personally, as I've stated before, I've never had any speed issues at all and the "lost" wireless adapter isn't an every time thing. I can go days without it happening at all, and I can even go through several sleep/wake cycles in a day and then suddenly...*poof*... on the next wake it's gone. I've tried to catch it in the act on video and, like taking your car into the mechanic for that strange sound it's making that seems to disappear as soon as the mechanic looks at it...it never happens when I'm recording it on wake from sleep.

ynohtna

My issue was not getting ip from DHCP all the time in whatever state I'm returning from.

The rest of my week, I stayed on WIFI and happy to report no instance of me requiring to ipconfig/renew or turn off wifi

I was able to do video conference call without quality issue as well.

Availability to the HyperV client is still as sketchy (the hyperV client can't always establish IP or has IP but has no internet) but that's a different issue