What's new

Wifi limited connectivity

Richard Blaine

I've meet having terrific problems with this same issue (and with two different routers) since a recent update. After a lot of trial-and-error, I rolled back the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless adapter drivers from 15.68.3091.192 [6/4/2015] to the older 15.68.3073.151 [12/22/2014], and this seemed to solve the problem. Note, however, that Windows will keep trying to update the driver back to the more recent version, so you may have to repeat the roll-back later.

Let me know if this helps.

Grumpy2

I've meet having terrific problems with this same issue (and with two different routers) since a recent update. After a lot of trial-and-error, I rolled back the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless adapter drivers from 15.68.3091.192 [6/4/2015] to the older 15.68.3073.151 [12/22/2014], and this seemed to solve the problem. Note, however, that Windows will keep trying to update the driver back to the more recent version, so you may have to repeat the roll-back later.

Let me know if this helps.
Just switch off automatic updates and do them manually. I have had auto updates disabled on all off my devices for over 10 years. That way I can pick and choose which updates to install and which ones to hide. The last firmware update I have not installed and do not intend to. I know of certain IT Professionals on this site who always advise to have auto update enabled but I personally think that is bad advice. Do all the updates manually is the best policy imho.

leeshor

Well, here is one IT professional that seriously prefers auto update be off. I have always been able to tell when Microsoft has released a faulty patch when more the second customer calls me 1-2 days after the seconds Tuesday of he month with a problem and both had their auto updates turned on.

80% of the systems I support don't have it on. I would rather they be vulnerable to whatever security issue was patched than to have to call me because they can't use some software on their system because of it.

As far as I know, not one of the system I have supported since 1989 has suffered from not having a/the Microsoft patch(s).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GreyFox7, what your are describing is almost identical to what I was describing.

Do you have any suspicion, about the cause. Any specific update, that might be the source of the issue? Or do you rahter suspect your environment?

I am personally not aware, what specifically might have caused the degression of the Wifi connectivity. I live in a house with many Wifi access points in my direct neighborhood - something might have changed there. Of the about one dozen Wifi devices we use in our flat, only the SP3 started to have those issues, which might point to a software update, that made things worse here. I am not aware, that I have reconfigured anything lately (neither on the SP3, nor on the router, nor on the other Wifi devices).

Other then Alexgpl, I really have no connection to the internet, when the SP3 shows limited connectivity.
Nothing specific as to the cause. I'm hoping it was an update or updates and MS will eventually fix it although this repetitive game has become exceedingly wearisome. It might be WiFi only or might be worse a I have complete lockups OR longer pauses than I'm willing to endure where it becomes completely unresponsive and I just hold the power switch for 30+ seconds. If they sell a couple million or more of these to school kids in this condition Surface will take a vicious beating in the media and might not recover.

Its a crucial point in history right now and defeat can easily be snatched from the jaws of victory with a couple missteps. All we can do is watch, every warning has been issued, now it's game time and execution is all that matters. There will be no do overs, its; Do or do not. However, death would be slow and lingering much like Windows Phone it would be every bit as inevitable but its slowness might lead one to believe more chances are possible while in reality the event horizon once crossed cannot be uncrossed.

I believe this issue is only for some SP3 and poorly performing WiFi routers. Since I purchased my SP3 last year, I've never had a WiFi limited problem on my home and at work. I have the most stable router Linksys WRT1900AC (in my experience) at home that never gets reboot unless there's a firmware update.
I also have set automatic updates and I'm fully updated.

I can transfer all of my 300Mbps internet speed plan through WiFi!
Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

4482561713.png

S

Grumpy2

I have just "hidden" the last firmware update (23/6/15) so that it does not get installed. My machine was working great until the May firmware update - now after installing that I get white flashes when switching on or waking up the SP3. Damn incompetent Microsoft employees. I do not intend to do any more updates. Just can't trust those incompetent fools at Microsoft. I think it is about time that Gates and Nadella took some responsibility here. After all the buck stops with them.