What's new

Will the i3 be enough for Office and browsing?

mitchellvii

I'm thinking of getting the i3 because I really need more of a tablet that can be a laptop when I need to be super portable. I already have a laptop I'm very satisfied with and a tablet as well, but I would prefer to remain within the Windows ecosystem if I can.

So for those who own the i3 with a similar use case to my own, are you satisfied with the speed and power? I've owned both i3 and i5 laptops and to be honest, in day to day tasks, using Office and web browsing I can't tell the difference. All input appreciated.

P.S. No gaming, video editing or big spreadsheets. Heaviest thing is Access database.

wynand32

I don't have an i3 SP3 (mine's the i5), but I can't imagine that the i3 version wouldn't be more than adequate for what you describe.

Len J

Get it at a Microsoft store, try it for yourself... if it doesn't work, return it within 30 days and get an I 5.

Len

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If I'm going to be using this primarily as a tablet heat is a concern for me. Have bad memories of scorching my fingers on the original Surface Pro. I'm guessing the i3 will run a bit cooler. As far as battery life I read the Anantech article and it seems to imply battery life was no better in one place but then implied it gave an hour more when just browsing. So a bit confused on that score.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I hesitate to endorse the i3 given the OP's stated intent to work with Access databases.

Access doesn't require much horsepower. I'm not talking about parsing millions of records. My old i3 laptop handled database activities as quickly as my current i5 does from what I could tell.

ctitanic

I'm thinking of getting the i3 because I really need more of a tablet that can be a laptop when I need to be super portable. I already have a laptop I'm very satisfied with and a tablet as well, but I would prefer to remain within the Windows ecosystem if I can.

So for those who own the i3 with a similar use case to my own, are you satisfied with the speed and power? I've owned both i3 and i5 laptops and to be honest, in day to day tasks, using Office and web browsing I can't tell the difference. All input appreciated.

P.S. No gaming, video editing or big spreadsheets. Heaviest thing is Access database.
You should not have any problems with an i3.