What's new

Solved Win10 rendered my SP3 unusable

OP
malberttoo

malberttoo

Well long story short, my SP3 for the moment is effectively bricked. The display driver was incompatible when I upgraded to the first Win10 build. After help from you guys here I figured that part out, went into safe mode and uninstalled the intel driver and then all was well, except I was now using the basic video driver and had no brightness control, graphics was a little choppy, etc. Then when it updated to 9879, it re-installed the Intel driver again, and the whole problem started over. This time I said forget it, and did a full reset, which actually took me back to 9841 (or whatever the original build number was.

This build then again sucked down the Intel driver, and even with a clean install, was still incompatible with the driver and made desktop access almost impossible. So I broke out a Win8.1 bootable USB drive so that I could take my machine back to 8.1, and discovered that the EUFI bits must be scrambled now, because I can no longer boot to the recovery environment. I get a blue screen that at first complained of "The digital signal for this file couldn't be verified, 0xc0000428". Trying to boot from USB got me a black error screen complaining that "file:\windows\system32\winload.efi" couldn't load. By then it was almost midnight and I had already spent probably 10 hours trying to make the whole thing happy.

I called Surface support this morning expecting to do a replacement, but he pointed me toward a USB restore image first. I asked if the image will work even if the EUFI or boot stuff is messed up, and he said the only time he's seen it not work was when the USB port itself was hosed.

Downloading it now, we shall see.

AllTaken

Well long story short, my SP3 for the moment is effectively bricked. The display driver was incompatible when I upgraded to the first Win10 build. After help from you guys here I figured that part out, went into safe mode and uninstalled the intel driver and then all was well, except I was now using the basic video driver and had no brightness control, graphics was a little choppy, etc. Then when it updated to 9879, it re-installed the Intel driver again, and the whole problem started over. This time I said forget it, and did a full reset, which actually took me back to 9841 (or whatever the original build number was.

This build then again sucked down the Intel driver, and even with a clean install, was still incompatible with the driver and made desktop access almost impossible. So I broke out a Win8.1 bootable USB drive so that I could take my machine back to 8.1, and discovered that the EUFI bits must be scrambled now, because I can no longer boot to the recovery environment. I get a blue screen that at first complained of "The digital signal for this file couldn't be verified, 0xc0000428". Trying to boot from USB got me a black error screen complaining that "file:\windows\system32\winload.efi" couldn't load. By then it was almost midnight and I had already spent probably 10 hours trying to make the whole thing happy.

I called Surface support this morning expecting to do a replacement, but he pointed me toward a USB restore image first. I asked if the image will work even if the EUFI or boot stuff is messed up, and he said the only time he's seen it not work was when the USB port itself was hosed.

Downloading it now, we shall see.

This image will work. My winload.exe exception was hosed early this morning. Started afresh at 8.1, now at 9926. Good luck dude.

macmee

You've scared me from trying it on my SP3.

I like my Sp3, but it's buggy enough without Windows 10. I'll wait for the full release, I think.

EMINENT

It's on and working. So far so good!

Just a heads up, at first upgrade I was stuck at full brightness and sleep button didn't work. Just made the screen black, but could see the backlight. Had to go into WU and install an update for the update. After a couple restarts, full brightness is gone and sleep works properly.

Some observations...
It's be nice to have a brightness slider like we use to have in Action Center.
I like the taskbar at top because having the keyboard makes it hard to tap buttons. Minimized start menu buttons can be obstructed by taskbar and it'd be nice to change those buttons to the bottom of the minimized start menu.
No modern IE sucks. Going to have to see if there's a workaround. Don't know why they'd get rid of it as it's easily the best browser for touch i've ever used.

Good luck with your update!

OP
malberttoo

malberttoo

FINALLY DONE.

I made it back to Windows 8.1. Somehow in the process I think something with my TCP module or BitLocker recvoery or something got nuked, because my SP3 went to a totally "fresh" factory state, and didn't pull any settings or apps over, as it should have with being sync'd with OneDrive. I'm guessing whatever unique number that identified my PC to OneDrive, is gone and overwritten, which is a darn shame. I knew I'd be starting fresh but I wasn't planning on losing my sync data.

I honestly don't know what I could have done differently, it's just the way PC's are. I've been doing IT for a long time, and did the Win10 preview the same way you guys did. It's just wierd.

Edit- The SP3 did finally sync up with the OneDrive settings. It pulled in all my apps, put my tiles where they're supposed to be. Just took a while I guess.

PAINFUL 2 day without my SP3. Glad it's over!! :D

Last edited:

JB 2.0

I had the bright screen and power button issue too, run the windows update a couple of times with reboots and it should go away