What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohcho

Finally was able to get it up and running in a hyper-v. I'm not willing to go all in with this technical preview, but from the initial setup, it runs pretty quick, even in the hyper-v with 1gb of ram.

Going to do as much as I can in it and see how well it goes.

bluegrass

I hope that when "Continuum" is implemented, that you can have a keyboard & touch screen at the same time and not one or the other. From what I've read it sounds like they might be setting it up so that it's one or the other and not both.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I already know the answer having read this thread, however would love a bit of reassurance.

As it is, this device is used for nothing but onenote 2013, office 2013, and drawboard pdf (would use it for more but am regulated to <56k dial up internet), oh, and i love MUI IE, browser of choice now on the surface. Is it safe for me to get 10 on the device based on these needs? Sure i could just try and see, but given my internet, i need to be reassured its all going to work ok before i commit that much effort to obtaining a copy of the iso.

bluegrass

I guess this excerpt from a WP Central article answers my question about "Continuum" mode. Not sure how a wireless keyboard will react. Hopefully we will have the choice with the popup question mentioned below.

"Basically, if you have a device like the Surface Pro 3 that has a keyboard attached, the UI in Windows 10 will work in desktop mode. If the keyboard is detached, or if it flips around to show just the touchscreen, Windows 10 will pop up an alert asking the user to go into tablet mode. If the user clicks "Yes". the UI switches so that Modern apps that were working in a windowed mode now take up the entire screen.
More importantly, the Start menu can also expand to fill the entire screen, in a way that's similar to the Start screen in Windows 8 and in Windows Phone. It definitely looks like it will be a solid compromise for users who still want the freedom to use both touchscreen and mouse-keyboard controls."

mohcho

For those who went all in and installed the technical preview on the bare metal, are you ok with having to reinstall when the final release comes out?

Liam2349

I installed the 10/6/2014 "System Hardware", and it disabled WiFi for me (couldn't even toggle it on) - until I went into Device Manager, and chose to Uninstall the adapter. It came immediately back, running perfectly. It did lose all my WiFi network passphrases, though.

I doubt if this was Microsoft's intent here. But all is well.

View attachment 3947

You know that horrible lag when you swipe back in IE Metro on 8.1, and it's literally 5x faster to click the back arrow? Is that still in 10 Preview? Does 10 Preview allow swiping in desktop IE?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Joe B. stated that in this Beta, you will be able to install over the top at each iteration....including RTM, just like with Windows Phone.

Gary.M

To those asking about IE on windows 10, there is only the desktop version available (without running a script which didn't work really well here) and there are no touch gestures available

Gary.M

For the second day in a row my second email account seems to have disappeared from the mail app: I have my regular Hotmail account and a Gmail account, the Gmail is the one going awol. Anybody else?

I have left feedback for Microsoft

Knuck

To those asking about IE on windows 10, there is only the desktop version available (without running a script which didn't work really well here) and there are no touch gestures available

Script works well for me. A bit of a hassle that you have to reload it every time after you closeit. Most gestures worked for me on the metro version. The only issues I had with metro was with multiple tabs where I would open the menu bar and select new tab. The menu bar would stick and not close for awhile.

The desktop IE seems the same to me. Maybe a little speedier/smoother although could be my imagination.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Gary.M

My Gmail stays put. I have five accounts set up in Outlook and Mail. I wonder if ActiveSync is not configured correctly.

Here are my settings: (it sure is nice to have the Mail app and IE both on the same desktop):

Incoming: imap.gmail.com
Port 993
SSL

Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
Port 465
SSL

Status
Not open for further replies.