What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rege0039

I am interested in the idea of there being a problem with the files in the windows.old folder that remains even after I selected to delete 'Previous Windows Installations' in disc clean up.

Never liked having the folder there but can't find a way to get rid of it !

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in the idea of there being a problem with the files in the windows.old folder that remains even after I selected to delete 'Previous Windows Installations' in disc clean up.

Never liked having the folder there but can't find a way to get rid of it !
It was a working theory, but didn't pan out, basically you need to uninstall the offending devices in Device Manage first, then take ownership of the files change the permissions and then delete them, but only one person I know did this allow the install to work. I did it and it still failed.

Compusmurf

I'm thinking it was that last Firmware Update which is below the OS layer, so it doesn't matter if you roll back to 8.1....Gabe said a bit ago that they are investigating a potential fix or work around.

I had the last firmware and matching video driver and had no issues. Things seem to be hit or miss with this release. I can say, I'd cleaned out the windows.old long before the update, and as the other poster mentioned, so far, this has been the nicest release yet. Pity so many folks having these issues. It's really pretty good assuming you don't count SLEEP and Microsoft Edge. :)

EMINENT

Everyone do a disk cleanup and system clean up under c driver properties and then uninstall any 3rd party drivers ie Intel graphics non MS installed. This will clear everything up and install normally

This did nothing to get me on 10122.

pbaird

Now that I'm already on 10122, is there a way I can see if I had the firmware update? I don't recall seeing one the past week, but not sure why I wouldn't have...

wynand32

It was a working theory, but didn't pan out, basically you need to uninstall the offending devices in Device Manage first, then take ownership of the files change the permissions and then delete them, but only one person I know did this allow the install to work. I did it and it still failed.

I'm giving that a try just for the heck of it. I'll report back on whether or not it worked for me. I do notice that my leftover files are slightly different than the ones in the Microsoft forum posting.

Edit: Nope, didn't work.

Last edited:

Sven

I find it truly remarkable that MS releases an update that works the worst on its flagship product. How the hell did this POS make it out the door?

If MS doesn't have this resolved within 24 hours someone needs to get fired.

Between MS and Apple, these days they both seem to be competing in the "let's use our customer base as beta testers" marathon.

Yes they're pushing boundaries and introducing more feature, but hell QC has gone for a ball of sh!t.

Edit: As this is a Windows 10 TP, I guess we all own the beta testers badge willingly.

mitchellvii

One nice thing about being back on 8.1.

Complete utter fan silence. Ahhhhhh. Its a beautiful thing. 8.1 really is a fast, stable platform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.