What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickiFL

Well, I took the plunge, and I downloaded Win 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10074. I hope my SP3, and myself, do not have a nervous breakdown, and may God have mercy on my soul. :D

**I'm using the new browser to type this message. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do a clean install or it might hang on you.

After many attempted downloads from mega (finally found out i had no spare disk space doh) i got it insalled. Just put on a usb stick and clicked setup and left the installers settings as they were (think it was a fresh install, but keep all apps, settings, and files) and it installed just great in about 25 minutes. Like yoruself, fan is back to behaving itself. Now if only we could get some drivers for the S3! Sort it out already intel!

Compusmurf

Very cool tidbit blatantly swiped from another forum.
--------
Create a "Drivers" folder on your drive (example> D:\Drivers) then run this command from prompt(admin) to export the current drivers

Code:

Dism /online /Export-Driver /Destination:D:\Drivers

Once you install or re-install windows 10 - run this command to import the exported drivers into your new windows 10 OS

Code:

Dism /online /Add-Driver /Driver:D:\Drivers /Recurse

From <http://www.tenforums.com/installati...ows-10-preview-drivers-save-hassle-later.html>

lhauser

Argh. Things are going from bad to worse on 10130. Scrivener will not start at all. Fortunately all my chapters/scenes have been exported, and my text editor and the Word preview (the touch-friendly one) work, so I can still write. Then, I installed the Office 2016 preview last night. Word starts, then hangs. OneNote starts and works without difficulty.

It looks like the Explorer crash is solved, though; I can bring out the notification panel anytime I want.

I will probably try doing a reset this evening when I get home. I'm sure I can (and will) uninstall the Office 2016 preview and go back to Office 365, but that doesn't solve the Scrivener problem. If not, I may go back to 8.1 (again...)

VickiFL

Ok, everything seems ok, except Spartan/Edge. It has been having a slight nervous breakdown since install. Can't click between tabs, scrolling pages difficult, etc. I LOVE inking on webpages, though. That is awesomely cool! I've gone back to IE for now.

I have noticed that my battery is draining faster. :(

I know people have been having lots of problems, which is to be expected being an evaluation copy. So, I'm not complaining per say, just listing the problems I have had so far, which have been limited. ::knocks on wood::

mitchellvii

Ok, here's what I don't get. This is a screen cap of the new "wide" animated tile from the Start Menu. As you can see, the entire bottom quarter of the tile is useless empty space. Why not make the colored area only one line tall showing more picture, or add 2 lines of text? This is what I don't comprehend in MS's design thinking?

If you resize to "medium" the colored box uses 2 lines of text and it works. I am hoping this is simply an oversight by MS that will be fixed.

ace4a0.jpg

rkz

You know what really helped me get rid of a lot of the massively blowing fans and the high consumption by background tasks (surprising actually) is switching from Microsoft antivirus to avast. Wow.

Stephan

You know what really helped me get rid of a lot of the massively blowing fans and the high consumption by background tasks (surprising actually) is switching from Microsoft antivirus to avast. Wow.

Yeah ? I thought that Defender was the lightest (as it's integrated directly into the OS). Are you sure ?
(And I can't stand Avast.... So, hope you're wrong.. :) )

Compusmurf

Avast is ok for now, waiting on bit defender compatibility. Defender has notoriously rated extremely low in all independent tests. I am using avast free since they are actively testing 10 compatibility and most of the others are waiting for release. Once live, I will switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.