What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The firmware will install regardless. You can only delay it.

I have done a user feedback, to allow at least hide driver updates. But it needs A LOT more votes
https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Bummer. ah well, might as well for the update then and see how it fares.

Liking this build, but edge.. come on MS. So long as edge is a complete lag fest when opening new tabs of changing tabs through ctrl+t and alt+tab on the type cover, then why would i use it??

edit: just looked at the app, and apparently my firmware iws up to date.

Last edited:

cmergel

So I finally got 10159 to show up on download. I found that my domain user account is not a local admin, which I knew, but forgot that previous updates required me to log in with my admin account. After adding my main account to local admin and opening updates there was a message about repairing or fixing my Microsoft account (can't recall the exact message). I clicked on it and then changed to fast ring and boom, the update is now showing.

bluegrass

Is there a screensaver in windows anymore? Can't find settings for it
Since tubes are history, screen savers aren't needed anymore but if you want to you, in Personalize, choose background slideshow and it will have pretty much the same effect as a screen saver.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still amazed that this close to launch multi display is still completely screwy. I would love to learn how a 3:2 display can be sent to a 16:9 display and the resulting aspect ratio be along the lines of 21:9. Makes absolutely no sense.

bluegrass

FYI. I just put a Lenovo desktop up on my desk that had Windows 10 build 9926 on it. I told it to check for updates and it found build 10159. It downloaded and installed completely with the only intervention being one restart. It has a pretty cool login background now, show below.
W10 Build 10159.jpg

After this upgrade I went to Office365.com and installed a copy of Office 2013 without a problem. Can't give any experience on my SP3 with upgrading preview build as I went back to W8.1 on my Surface until the July 29 upgrade.

Last edited:

rege0039

No one else getting apps closing (Netflix and more) after opening the store and getting an error code whenever not online ?

I've tried to de-installing and re-installing the apps.

New error on Build 10159

bluegrass

Since tubes are history, screen savers aren't needed anymore but if you want to you, in Personalize, choose background slideshow and it will have pretty much the same effect as a screen saver.

I did find that the Preview still has a screensaver. If you key in screensaver at the search prompt (?), you can click on screensaver in the control panel and set one up. I tested it and it worked but wasn't very cool because it didn't display the bubbles over the cool background I had. The background went to black during the screensave.

bluegrass

Still amazed that this close to launch multi display is still completely screwy. I would love to learn how a 3:2 display can be sent to a 16:9 display and the resulting aspect ratio be along the lines of 21:9. Makes absolutely no sense.

There are still those types of problems in Windows 8.1. I suspect that it will be a while before they ever get that sorted out. One piece of good news that should please all the Intel graphic control panel pundits, the new build has the Intel graphics control panel built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.