What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

1) Run REGEDIT
2) Navigate to
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\OpenWithList
3. Modify one of the programs Windows has in your list there to be PhotoViewer.dll

This will add Photo Viewer to the Open With list of programs for .jpg files.
Repeat this process for other file types, by navigating to other ...\FileExts\... in your registry.

Not responsible for any problems this may cause you.

I'll show you mine:

View attachment 6440
Tried this but it didn't give me an option for Windows Photo Viewer. Thanks again for trying. I also created a line and tried that too but still nothing. I think I will have to do a clean install of an earlier Windows 10 to get it back and try and update... I might have a 10130 ISO still, might...

malberttoo

Tried this but it didn't give me an option for Windows Photo Viewer. Thanks again for trying. I also created a line and tried that too but still nothing. I think I will have to do a clean install of an earlier Windows 10 to get it back and try and update... I might have a 10130 ISO still, might...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 2 other members who chimed in, and did not have the old photo viewer, also did clean installs. The thinking may be that updating from Win 8 keeps the app on the system, but doing a clean install to Win 10 doesn't have it all.

Kris

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 2 other members who chimed in, and did not have the old photo viewer, also did clean installs. The thinking may be that updating from Win 8 keeps the app on the system, but doing a clean install to Win 10 doesn't have it all.
I had it on a clean install with 10130

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mine was from clean install om the SP3 and upgrade through the s3. I have it on both (although slideshow is broken on both). as I previously mentioned, I had a previous issue, on 10147 or 10160 with the S3 refusing to open the photo viewer and just opening print instead, a reinstall fixed that - so maybe it is just a bit buggy is all.

GTiceman

Woo hoo! Intel graphics drivers now being delivered via Windows Update.
Installed perfectly.

View attachment 6441

I also have those drivers, how do you know they came in WU? They don't show as an update in my history.

Also did others get the email to try Bing Maps Preview? Where it specifically states it works on Edge. It doesn't and this is a known issue apparently. MS Marketing fail

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I also have those drivers, how do you know they came in WU? ...

Like this.

Screenshot (97).png

samurai

I doubt it is being purged. they'd have given us a real photo viewer to test a long while back if this was the case. The current "Photo" app is plain useless. Would be pretty silly to purge something that everyone uses and when there is no viable alternative available.

Honest question. What are the missing features in the Photos app compared to the Windows photo viewer?

samurai

Thank you everyone for looking for me. I believe it is being purged, I did a clean install and its gone but the one laptop that I upgraded still has it.... Laptop runs like crap with the upgrade, others ran this way too and thats why I did a clean install.

I have it on my desktop where I did a clean install. But I installed Win10 when the build was 10162 or something.

lhauser

Anyone having an issue with notifications on 10240? I have a few apps that should be giving me notifications but they don't show up in the Notification Settings and TBH I don't remember the last time I actually saw any notification pop up. They show in action centre but don't seem to be popping

Not me. I got a notification this morning that an update had installed, after I rebooted (the update downloaded and installed overnight). I've turned off my tablet mode updates, now that I'm comfortable with what it's doing. The switch is transparent, just as advertised.

wynand32

Mine keeps failing too and the hotfix updates aren't showing up for me

Uninstalling the drivers (and removing the files) in Device Manager worked for me. After a reboot, the new drivers finally downloaded and installed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.