What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomofman

Unless you really messed with partitions I would only refresh and erase all files. That is what MS is recommending nowadays.
I didn't mess with the partitions so should be OK. Once it hits official release I'll do a refresh and hopefully all will be OK at that stage.

GTiceman

I didn't mess with the partitions so should be OK. Once it hits official release I'll do a refresh and hopefully all will be OK at that stage.
I have been contemplating a refresh and planned to do one on the release build but my system has been pretty solid. My HTPC is a bit rocky with one app.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
is there a way to activate automatic Hibernation after 4h of connected standby? i loved that under Windows 8.1...
Windows 10 completely re-did Power Management and we will need the Surface Team to enable the Hybrid S0iX Power Management via a Firmware Update. They did the first part with the June update, my guess we'll see something in August or September.

abcefg

Windows 10 completely re-did Power Management and we will need the Surface Team to enable the Hybrid S0iX Power Management via a Firmware Update. They did the first part with the June update, my guess we'll see something in August or September.

I thought that it still works. But then again, I have power state issues so I am not sure if hibernate does work or not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that it still works. But then again, I have power state issues so I am not sure if hibernate does work or not.
I haven't seen the 4 hour hibernate kick in since last September when I upgraded to the Insider Previews....with the last build S0iX is working much better (it has hot-bagged a couple of time though), I'm losing less then 5% over 8 hours while in S0iX which puts the SP3 within SPEC for Connected Standby. My S3 on the other hand has the Hybrid S0iX Power Management working as expected, it goes into hibernate after 4 hours in S0iX.

lhauser

I'm not sure if this is strictly a message for this forum, but with OneDrive in flux between Windows 8.1 and 10 as it is, I figure I'll give it a try.

I currently have my Documents folder syncing automagically to OneDrive. In general, this works OK. But I would rather use OneDrive as a secondary, not primary, repository of my documents. I've run into some problems with editing documents offline, then having problems syncing and merging properly (though these problems were, in a way at least caused by OneDrive, they were also remedied with OneDrive's unexpectedly useful versioning). I like the cloud, but I don't trust it, and work often enough in places where I have no Internet access that I refuse to put all my eggs in it (no, I would not be a good candidate for a Chromebook).

I'd like to have Documents reside on my local machine in the "old fashioned" way, as if the cloud didn't exist, but have OneDrive or some other application watch that folder and upload changes to OneDrive. There's an excellent sync app for my Android phone (DropSync) that does this with OneDrive, but I'm unaware of something like it for Windows.

Can this be done with junctions or hard links, or a similar mechanism, as done in the past with Dropbox? Or is there other software that syncs to OneDrive, instead of making OneDrive the primary document repository?

malberttoo

I'm not sure if this is strictly a message for this forum, but with OneDrive in flux between Windows 8.1 and 10 as it is, I figure I'll give it a try.

I currently have my Documents folder syncing automagically to OneDrive. In general, this works OK. But I would rather use OneDrive as a secondary, not primary, repository of my documents. I've run into some problems with editing documents offline, then having problems syncing and merging properly (though these problems were, in a way at least caused by OneDrive, they were also remedied with OneDrive's unexpectedly useful versioning). I like the cloud, but I don't trust it, and work often enough in places where I have no Internet access that I refuse to put all my eggs in it (no, I would not be a good candidate for a Chromebook).

I'd like to have Documents reside on my local machine in the "old fashioned" way, as if the cloud didn't exist, but have OneDrive or some other application watch that folder and upload changes to OneDrive. There's an excellent sync app for my Android phone (DropSync) that does this with OneDrive, but I'm unaware of something like it for Windows.

Can this be done with junctions or hard links, or a similar mechanism, as done in the past with Dropbox? Or is there other software that syncs to OneDrive, instead of making OneDrive the primary document repository?

I'll have time to research it a little later today, but off the top of my head I know SugarSync does this- rather than having to put your files/folders in a repository like OD or Dropbox, instead, you point SS to the individual folders you want backed up/ synced, wherever they happen to be. Might be worth a look anyways.

Edit- https://www.sugarsync.com/

lhauser

I'll have time to research it a little later today, but off the top of my head I know SugarSync does this- rather than having to put your files/folders in a repository like OD or Dropbox, instead, you point SS to the individual folders you want backed up/ synced, wherever they happen to be. Might be worth a look anyways.

Edit- https://www.sugarsync.com/

Thanks, Mike. The difficulty here is that I don't want a new sync service, but a different way to use the one I already use (OneDrive). But I'm always interested to hear what else you might find.

GTiceman

Use SyncToy and have it copy for you

lhauser

Synctoy is definitely a possibility. I've thought about Robocopy as well, since it's scriptable from the command line, but I understand it doesn't work well in Windows 8.x (and perhaps, therefore, not in 10 either). Perhaps I need to look at a Windows version of RSync, too.

Nicola

do you also have problem installing the firmware update of July?
I get this error:
System Firmware Update - ‎23/‎07/‎2015 - Error 0x80246013

Status
Not open for further replies.