What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

It was a lot different under Windows 8 and 8.1. It performs fine on my machine, though if you're connected to the Internet, it actually seems to download and open the file from the network, not from a local copy. That's why I want to put my documents where I can load and save locally, but still have some sort of real-time sync to a location OneDrive can look at. The best of both worlds (Or, just the way it worked under 8.1).

Microsoft is supposed to be improving OneDrive again after release, so we'll see.

Hmm, yes, I think that's exactly what's happening: OneDrive does seem to be accessing the network while working with the files. I might try disconnecting from the network and organizing, then reconnecting, and see if that speeds things up. Odd if it does, and likely not Microsoft's intention.

Edit: Okay, disconnected from the network, and things became as fast as normal local files. Preview starting working as well. So, yes, when connected to the Internet, the OneDrive folder is accessing things in the cloud and slowing down/interfering with local interaction.

Also strange: the files that I opened when disconnected notified me that they're offline copies last synced on 5/31/2015 at 3:02pm. Perhaps that's when I installed this build and kicked off the initial OneDrive sync. I'm going to assume that any files I've accessed since then (obviously not these ones) would have the more recent date.

Overall, this is not good behavior, and is definitely something Microsoft needs to resolve.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It gave me the Blue Light Blue Screen Of Death Extreme Unhappiness

IMG_0149.JPG
[/S]

macmee

hey, sorry for lurking but can you brave and noble testers tell us if it's safe to upgrade or if we should hold off for a few months and let them work out more bugs.

Right now I'm completely happy with 8.1 so I don't want to hurt my experience.

malberttoo

hey, sorry for lurking but can you brave and noble testers tell us if it's safe to upgrade or if we should hold off for a few months and let them work out more bugs.

Right now I'm completely happy with 8.1 so I don't want to hurt my experience.

That question has been asked a couple times, and most of us feel that Win 10 has been solid for at least the last couple builds. The current build is the RTM, and I'd have no hesitation recommending it.

Status
Not open for further replies.