What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeritus

That question has been asked a couple times, and most of us feel that Win 10 has been solid for at least the last couple builds. The current build is the RTM, and I'd have no hesitation recommending it.

You really should have hesitations recommending it, especially after seeing how massive amounts of users have bumped against the brick wall trying to install it.

samurai

hey, sorry for lurking but can you brave and noble testers tell us if it's safe to upgrade or if we should hold off for a few months and let them work out more bugs.

Right now I'm completely happy with 8.1 so I don't want to hurt my experience.

I am on Win10 and I am never going back to Win8 again, ever. Having said that, If you want completely bug free experience, I would suggest you to wait. There are some little annoyances that needs to be ironed out.

chortya

I am also having issues installing firmware update. I was able to pin down the problem using the System logs to the Surface Pen. Before I had the issues with the Surface Keyboard. Deleting the device helped with the keyboard but does not help with the pen...
I think there is a problem with the drivers after the migration from 8.1 to 10. I bet everybody who has problems installing migrated and did not do fresh install.

bnathan

I am loving the Windows 10 now but I am still having the issue where I can not get audio from HDMI any more. I use my dock hooked up to a TV in my bedroom and since using the Windows 10 builds have just accepted that it doesn't work for now but considering today they released new Intel drivers I still cant get audio to pass through HDMI. Any suggestions???

Doomofman

I am also having issues installing firmware update. I was able to pin down the problem using the System logs to the Surface Pen. Before I had the issues with the Surface Keyboard. Deleting the device helped with the keyboard but does not help with the pen...
I think there is a problem with the drivers after the migration from 8.1 to 10. I bet everybody who has problems installing migrated and did not do fresh install.

Add me to the migrated from 8.1 to 10 (10240) list having the update fail

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Wireless Display Adapter (WDA) with Windows 10 works very well. Definitely a selling point for the Surface Pro 3.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was a Dropbox user for a long time. Then my wife bought her Surface Pro 3, along with Office 365 (five license home version) about four months before I got mine, and before I knew it, I had a terabyte of free space. I was dropping $10 a month for that space on Dropbox. It was an easy decision. (I still have several gigs of free space at Dropbox, thanks to my long use and many referrals).

I'm not denying it is useful, let alone the value. For those who use it, it clearly is great, But for me, I live in London where I do not have any internet at home (its complicated, but the rent is cheap, scratch that, affordable. You've got to be daft to opt to live in London, damn women) other than via a 750mb a month phone tethering ability, or I'm at my parents house where internet never even reaches 1mbps upstream, the only viable thingsvi
Interesting that you posted this today. I was just going over files in a OneDrive folder, and noticed that it's actually very, very slow at opening and copying/moving files, that that file preview doesn't work for documents stored there. I don't remember things being this slow in previous versions of Windows, but then again I'm not sure I worked with OneDrive all that much prior to Windows 10.

It's so bad, in fact, that I'm thinking seriously about also looking for an alternative. It's a bummer, because it's great in theory to work on essentially the same file on all of my machines, but it's just a serious pain in terms of managing large numbers of files.

One of my least favorite things about Windows 10, actually.

I've never experienced a speedy OD when on win 10. Because of new builds etc, I was frequently having to re-download my onenote notebook, and it would take minutes to sync a single A4 page.

pcreyn319

Does anyone know if Windows 10 will offer a solution similar to Apple's Continuity, where I can receive texts, etc. from my phone on my desktop and on my SP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.