What's new

Windows 8 Mail, People, Calendar apps get minor (but welcome) updates

guitar1969

I am in the same boat - Since the Mail app can't sync directly with Outlook 2010 desktop, I use Google Calender, which also syncs up my Android phone. I will not be updating the Surface Calender App until another decent solution comes out.

ArnoldC

<snip>The RT certainly is getting much better. Well done Microsoft. Bring on Blue.

I love my Surface RT that to me, this is the better platform moving forward.

Back on topic, you'll love the semantic zoom on the Music App. I may have to change my region to United States to see what's new in xbox music.

ps.

I'd love to see Microsoft let go of the Bing Maps and bring in HERE Maps, which is now available for *any* Windows Phone 8 device.

Last edited:

bosamar

I love my Surface RT that to me, this is the better platform moving forward.

Back on topic, you'll love the semantic zoom on the Music App. I may have to change my region to United States to see what's new in xbox music.

ps.

I'd love to see Microsoft let go of the Bing Maps and bring in HERE Maps, which is now available for *any* Windows Phone 8 device.
Soooo much to explore. Soooooooooo little time. Lol. :p. Thanks Arnold!

StephenPAdams

Thanks for the link. :)

I've since updated it to support 2 different scenarios: one if you plan on converting to using Windows Live Calendar primarily (one time import), the other if you plan on continuing to use Google Calendar to adding/editing/removing events. The 2nd one works fine, but I don't know how often Microsoft's servers check the subscribed calendar. FWIW, I subscribed to 2 calendars as of 6:00PM EST, without it refreshing from my Google calendar. I'll try and keep everyone posted once I find out how often it refreshes.

StephenPAdams

I haven't received any of the updates yet. Is there something I can do to force the store to give me the updates.

Open up your Store app, pull out Charms, Click Settings, then click on App Updates. Then just check for updates. That should do it.

BTW, big key is to do the following first:
1. Charms
2. Settings
3. Change PC settings
4. Windows update

Make sure you have all updates installed, and then go to the Store and check for updates using the directions I have above.

guitar1969

Thanks - I actually found it at the same time as your post. But I didn't run windows update first. I think I am all up to date though.

souldier

Can anyone tell me how I can make different appointments appear with different colors? I see it in pictures online but can't find any way to do it

Souldier,

That referenced Settings> Options, is correct and will control the colors. But first you must actually have different calendars created in Outlook.com's Hotmail Calendar. Once you create a new calendar you will have options available to show it in different colors. I use 6 of them. Be advised that the more the merrier is not necessarily true.