What's new

Wireless devices are gone

shurik

My wireless devices (bluetooth and Marvell wifi adapter) disappeared today immediately following windows update that included firmware update to 5/19/15. They do not show up in Device Manager at all. I thought first that this is the way to force the switch to Windows 10 which I was dragging my feet to update. However, that did not help. I proceeded with factory restore and after that even with option "Show hidden devices" they do not show up as if they never existed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to downgrade firmware?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

One thing that has helped some people is to do a hard reset. While I'm not sure this will work on your SP2 it's worth a try. With your SP2 off hold the volume button up and while holding that, push the power button.

OP
S

shurik

Thank you. I believe it is the same as factory restore I did through Settings->Update&Security->Reset this PC. Holding volumu button up on SP2 boots into UEFI that does not have restore option.

leeshor

Once you have gotten to that point a restart would/should have the same effect. (Not a reset but more of a hard boot).

gamote

Exactly the same issue here.

I have tried a restore, but didn't work.

Anyone has tried contacting Microsoft?

OP
S

shurik

The cost for sending it for repairs is a whopping $518.40! This is how you finance free Windows licences: issue update that forces you to send device for expensive repairs. Worse than car dealers...

juergstaub

I have exactly the same here and was able to install the drivers manually via device manager when the SP2 was connected via USB/Eithernet. After the reboot the wireless started to work. After the second reboot, the all drivers disappeared again. Reinstalling them again manually and reboot solved it until the next reboot. This happened to me on W10 build 1511. Before verything was ok. What I noticed is a terrible wireless performance...

OP
S

shurik

@juergstaub I do not think it is exact same issue as I have. I do not have option to reinstall drivers. It is as if the device is disconnected and never existed in the first place. It is not possible to reinstall drivers for a device that is not detected by the system. You still have a chance to get it working by resetting the device to factory settings. I do not.

juergstaub

@juergstaub I do not think it is exact same issue as I have. I do not have option to reinstall drivers. It is as if the device is disconnected and never existed in the first place. It is not possible to reinstall drivers for a device that is not detected by the system. You still have a chance to get it working by resetting the device to factory settings. I do not.

You can install drivers by right clicking on the .inf file and then select install. You have to previously download them. They are provided in a .zip file, just google from them and make sure you download the correct ones (SP2, 32 or 64 bit)

Did you try to open device manager and then View->Show hidden devices? Is the Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller showing up? Mine is showing up there as hidden when things are no working and the messages is that the wireless adapter has been disconnected. I gues it has to do with the latest firmware update?

OP
S

shurik

It was hidden there when it happened but update or .inf installation did not help. After that I did system restore which removed them form the list of hidden devices (see my first post)