What's new

Working Surface Pro to XPAL 18000 external battery

natemiller82

So I have an XPAL 18000 battery from when I had my old ASUS ep121 (Terrible battery life). Unfortunately the free tips for life deal doesn't work for the Surface Pro. Well, a few weeks ago I began talking to Mike Lee at Mike Gyver, and had him make me a custom cable which is now for sale on his website: http://mikegyver.com/Surface-Battery-Car/
The proper cable for the XP18000 is under the "Microsoft surface cable" and you need to select the 3.4 x 1.3 mm cable option. The cost is $29, which is probably around what it would cost you to hack a solution yourself. I just got it today and am testing it out.

Here is a picture of the battery attached:
I just got this today, but here are my interim/anecdotal stats with this: My Surface pro was at 77%, it took roughly an hour for it to fully charge, no I am at 2:50 minutes after it is fully charged (~3:50 total, and the battery just dropped to 1/4 charge (I know it discharges much quicker when it has to charge the tablet as well -- at least with my old tablet it did). I have been streaming Pandora and browsing reddit the entire time and am currently streaming Netflix. I think between the external and internal battery I shouldn't have a problem getting through my day when I can't plug in.

Well.. hopefully this helps someone else who happens to have this battery laying around.

Oh yeah, if you have an external battery and would like a custom cable, get a hold of Mike Gyver. the input on the Surface Pro is 12v 4 amp -- although I am not having any problem with the output of this particular jack which is 12v 2amp, and other people online have been using this jack from this battery (with homebrewed cables) without any problems. Just an FYI.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
N

natemiller82

Kristalsoldier, do you want to know how long the battery takes to charge the computer from dead? Charging the battery itself takes around two hours I believe

kristalsoldier

Kristalsoldier, do you want to know how long the battery takes to charge the computer from dead? Charging the battery itself takes around two hours I believe

Thanks. I was interested in knowing how long the battery itself takes to charge, which you said is 2 hours.