What's new

WTF! battery problems!

Brenetics

Nah no video driver pop-ups. I *might* have had some apps open when I fell asleep last night. I'll check in the AM when I wake up.

Only issues I've had regarding driver failures are the NVIDIA Audio drivers. Oddly enough, that was my chief reservation prior to picking up the Surface: NVIDIA.

Hopefully they have better luck with Drivers on RT than they have regarding my laptop video card's stability.

macmee

Nah no video driver pop-ups. I *might* have had some apps open when I fell asleep last night. I'll check in the AM when I wake up.

Only issues I've had regarding driver failures are the NVIDIA Audio drivers. Oddly enough, that was my chief reservation prior to picking up the Surface: NVIDIA.

Hopefully they have better luck with Drivers on RT than they have regarding my laptop video card's stability.

It surprises me how poor the driver support for these devices have been. Microsoft chose this hardware themselves and it it their own flagship device. I expected drivers to function as well as they do on my iMac and MacBook where Apple is in a similar position, although I suppose Microsoft missed the memo about how they're in control of both the hardware and software and so that we have higher expectations in terms of synergy between the two.

Audio driver problems, video card driver problems, issues with the type/touch cover, somehow just recently they discovered how to improve the wifi driver. This is all embarrassing for them and quite unprofessional.

oion

It surprises me how poor the driver support for these devices have been. Microsoft chose this hardware themselves and it it their own flagship device. I expected drivers to function as well as they do on my iMac and MacBook where Apple is in a similar position, although I suppose Microsoft missed the memo about how they're in control of both the hardware and software and so that we have higher expectations in terms of synergy between the two.

Audio driver problems, video card driver problems, issues with the type/touch cover, somehow just recently they discovered how to improve the wifi driver. This is all embarrassing for them and quite unprofessional.

Well, Apple has been at that "synergy" game for how many more years than Microsoft? The regular updates are nice, at least, so we know Microsoft is being proactive, assuming people are reporting issues through the proper channels. No, this isn't an official MS board.

A tech forum like this is always a major stop for problem solving, so you should be mindful of participation self-selection bias (it's a well-known statistics concept, look it up, required reading).

OP
F

fastfed

HAHAH Something was seriously wrong.

because after someone here mentioned an audio driver I went and installed 2 updates that were available

one failed, some english dictionary thing for the keyboard? anyway, I restated and guess what?

I keep getting some bitlocker recovery thing.. it keeps asking me to enter a recovery key to get going agina! WTF

OP
F

fastfed

UMMM

ok.. WTF is going on here.

so it kept asking for some code, I finally followed the directions on my tablet (go to another computer, go to microsoft.com/recoverykey or soemthing

emails me some 40 digit code, It wouldn't let me start my surface without.

WTF is going on here?+

oion

HAHAH Something was seriously wrong.

because after someone here mentioned an audio driver I went and installed 2 updates that were available

one failed, some english dictionary thing for the keyboard? anyway, I restated and guess what?

I keep getting some bitlocker recovery thing.. it keeps asking me to enter a recovery key to get going agina! WTF

The English dictionary failed update is discussed in another thread--basically it's an error in the Update (server-side) where we got a newer version so what's listed in the window is not longer valid.

As for the Bitlocker key, it's not something that's come up often here that I remember: BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help

If the instructions there don't work, you should get on MS' official boards (link in sig) or contact MS support direct. Probably the latter, really, since you get tech support with your warranty.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had to enter the recovery key twice after the update for audio, that means it impacted the Firmware. My guess is the last update disabled the Dolby Digital Enhancements and this fixed that issue.

macmee

Well, Apple has been at that "synergy" game for how many more years than Microsoft? The regular updates are nice, at least, so we know Microsoft is being proactive, assuming people are reporting issues through the proper channels. No, this isn't an official MS board.

A tech forum like this is always a major stop for problem solving, so you should be mindful of participation self-selection bias (it's a well-known statistics concept, look it up, required reading).

True on both accounts, although the problems I cited (save for audio) are all problems I have personally encountered :p

I had to enter the recovery key twice after the update for audio, that means it impacted the Firmware. My guess is the last update disabled the Dolby Digital Enhancements and this fixed that issue.

Are these audio updates recent? I've never gotten an update where I have to enter a recovery key.