What's new

Xbox Music Downloading All My Songs Over Again?

Nebor

So I keep all my music on the SD card on my Surface Pro, and when I first got it I transferred all my music from my NAS over wifi onto the surface's SD card. Then about 3 weeks ago, the music app shows "downloading 2405 songs..." and is counting down. I'm seeing maxed out network usage, but I don't seem to be losing any disk space. However, I can't play a lot of the songs through the music app until they're done "downloading." What the heck is going on here? I have all the cloud syncing and downloading options turned on on my Surface Pro, WP8 Phone, & Windows 8 computers (desktop, laptop & HTPC.) But the Surface is the only one doing this weird download thing.

stlbud

Yeah, Fun. Isn't it? Xbox Music on Surface is roughly equivalent to something you scrape off your shoe. I think they've finally realized it isn't nearly as good as Zune. At least they haven't made that claim in a while.

My problem is duplicates. They changed databases or something so music I've ripped with Media Player or Zune doesn't match stuff in the new DB so it downloads everything all over again. It took hours to clean up the mess and was very difficult distinguishing the difference between the original and the new duplicate.

Hopefully the fix will be included in 8.1 but I don't have high hopes.