What's new

Yellow hazy vertical line on left side of screen

BillJ

upload_2014-8-23_22-11-47.png

Click on "advanced settings" and then select "monitor". Default is 59.

mitchellvii

With taskbar on left side it is now a non issue unless it gets worse. Actually kind of like the taskbar there.

mitchellvii

Have been covering my yellow line with the taskbar so forgot about it for a day or two. Just checked today out of curiosity and it has definitely gotten WORSE. This is a real problem from a resale standpoint when the time comes to upgrade. Not everyone will want to put their taskbar on the left to cover a yellow line.

Exchange time. Hope I'm luckier second time. This was a brand new unit from a brand new manufacturing run. :-( It's always something.

gtext

Have been covering my yellow line with the taskbar so forgot about it for a day or two. Just checked today out of curiosity and it has definitely gotten WORSE. This is a real problem from a resale standpoint when the time comes to upgrade. Not everyone will want to put their taskbar on the left to cover a yellow line.

Exchange time. Hope I'm luckier second time. This was a brand new unit from a brand new manufacturing run. :-( It's always something.

Should get mine on the 28th.

This quite a concern. No update is going to fix hardware issues.

mitchellvii

Should get mine on the 28th.

This quite a concern. No update is going to fix hardware issues.

Well if you Google this you get relatively few hits which tells me that the problem is not ubiquitous to this device. Hopefully yours will have no issues. I had a Tab S and while my screen was perfect, some had issues with an overall yellow cast. Unluck of the draw. I had an i3 before this unit and that had no yellow haze.

wynand32

Well if you Google this you get relatively few hits which tells me that the problem is not ubiquitous to this device. Hopefully yours will have no issues. I had a Tab S and while my screen was perfect, some had issues with an overall yellow cast. Unluck of the draw. I had an i3 before this unit and that had no yellow haze.

I'm another of those whose seen the line on every SP3 I've looked at since first noticing it. That includes a replacement for this unit that I returned because it, too, had the line and also a screen that was markedly more yellowish, and all of the units at my local Microsoft kiosk.

So, I think it's more a matter of people noticing the line, and perhaps how bad it is. I didn't notice it on mine until I read the OP in this thread, but then again I'm starting to think it might be getting worse (I wasn't thinking it was, but now I'm not so sure) and so maybe I would have noticed it eventually anyways. There are likely many folks out there who simply haven't come across a post about it and whose isn't so bad that it jumps out at them.

Bottom line is it's definitely a flaw, and everyone who has it should let Microsoft know. Don't return it, however, until there's a known fix, because the chances of getting an equally flawed unit are pretty good.

I'm still enjoying my SP3 more than any other machine I've purchased in recent memory. This is just a minor glitch, IMO. Bothersome, but not enough to detract from how excellent a machine this is.

mitchellvii

Stopped into Bestbuy today. Of their two floor models one had the line, one did not. Since I have 45 days to exchange this Im going to wait till the last possible moment in hopes MS has solved the problem by then. No reason to burn an exchange just to get the same or worse.

wynand32

At this point, I'd simply love to know what's causing it. It's not simple light bleed, we know that because it's separated from the edge of the screen. It doesn't seem to be adhesive, because it's not going away but seems to be getting worse for some folks. And it's widespread enough (if not on every machine, just perhaps too light on some to see it particularly in bright lights) that it appears to be a design defect.

I'll toss in the bit about the apparent distortion in that area of the screen, just to confuse things, because what could be there on the screen that would both distort with pressure and cause discoloration? Now that I think about it, I'll have to remember to check if touch/inking goes all the way to the edge (on the other side of the line), to see if it could have something to do with how the digitizer is fitted to the screen.

It's a mystery, for sure. Biggest question is: will Microsoft be able to fix it, economically? Or will they just write it off since it's not so noticeable on all machines unless you actually look for it?

mitchellvii

I'm not worried about it in day to day use since I can just cover the problem area with the Taskbar, but it does concern me for future resale. But honestly, I don't think the average person would even notice this on my SP3 unless I pointed it out to them.