What's new

Battery meter depreciation rate

nipponham

I just noticed that my batter meter depreciates in fixed increments. Not by one percent, but more like 100%→93%→87%... I'm just noticing this recently. Does everyone's meter depreciate this way?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cant say for sure but you might be right. Constant monitoring would probably drain the battery faster. have you noticed if there is a fixed period to the updates like 5 or 10 minutes?

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Not really. Just random reference checks to see how the battery performs after certain activities. I noticed that I keep seeing the same numbers. I doubt that I'm always checking at the exact same time or activity intervals that would keep showing me the same numbers.

You say that battery monitoring would drain battery faster? I'm not sure what you mean by "monitoring", but I just pass the cursor over the battery icon to see the figure. This drains battery?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really. Just random reference checks to see how the battery performs after certain activities. I noticed that I keep seeing the same numbers. I doubt that I'm always checking at the exact same time or activity intervals that would keep showing me the same numbers.

You say that battery monitoring would drain battery faster? I'm not sure what you mean by "monitoring", but I just pass the cursor over the battery icon to see the figure. This drains battery?
Any constant or frequent activity would use some battery however, I meant that if the Surface sampled battery levels more frequently it would use more battery than if it only checked periodically. either way it would be a small amount but a jar full of yen adds up.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Mine updates properly. This could be a calibration issue - have you ever calibrated your battery?
What do you mean by "calibrated"? To let the battery drain to zero? I haven't had the chance to do that yet. If you think that would help, I'll try it. Thanks.

ctitanic

Please, just enjoy the device. Looking for Bugs and issues always ends bad. Issues will find you if there is any.;)

OP
nipponham

nipponham

I'm getting a lot out of my device when it's working as it's supposed to be. Unfortunately, I've been experiencing major keyboard problems lately that's making it hard to have an enjoyable experience. But that's neither here nor there, and probably has nothing to do with my battery question. I would just like to know if the battery behavior I'm seeing is par for the course, or if there's something I need to do to have the battery meter decrease at an even rate.

Liam2349

What do you mean by "calibrated"? To let the battery drain to zero? I haven't had the chance to do that yet. If you think that would help, I'll try it. Thanks.

Charge to 100%, leave it at 100% for at least 30 minutes, then drain the device until it shuts down. I think this will help.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

The calibration advice worked somewhat. The battery still doesn't depreciate in one percent increments, but the gap between drops have narrowed to something like 100%→96%→92%→87%... I'm not sure what standard behavior for this should be but I will be a little more vigilant by doing regular battery calibrations.

Liam2349

The calibration advice worked somewhat. The battery still doesn't depreciate in one percent increments, but the gap between drops have narrowed to something like 100%→96%→92%→87%... I'm not sure what standard behavior for this should be but I will be a little more vigilant by doing regular battery calibrations.

All I can suggest is to repeat the process, perhaps after a couple more runs you will have sorted it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I can suggest is to repeat the process, perhaps after a couple more runs you will have sorted it.
My two year old Surface RT was dropping down from lack of use given I have several other devices and over the last couple of months ive conditioned the battery a few times and now its back to 94% of design capacity and it went 9.65-10.2 hours on the TabletMark battery test.