What's new

Connected Standby - Confused Out of My Mind

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What does connected standby have to do with screen saver? My screensaver is currently set to none.
There is Checkbox on the Screensaver control panel to do what you want, did you look?
upload_2014-7-27_9-18-33.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get about 7-8 solid hours of sleep each night....but really, what sleep study are you referring to?
From an elevated CMD Prompt run powercfg /sleepstudy it will create a file in the C:\Windows\System32 called sleepstudy.html compy it to your Documents folder in open in IE....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Now you're asking me to Devine the mind of the Microsoft developers...

Sorry... I was on my phone, I'm not sure why they put the setting there, but it activates the same setting in the Local Security Policy....

Last edited:

foghat

0 to 4 hours = Connected Standby
4 to 12 hours = Modified "Lite" Hibernation
12+ hours = Deep Hibernation

Password Policy can be controlled through the Screensaver Control Panel under Personalize

Can you detail what happens in each in each of these states? i.e. do background metro processes run in all states or just in Connected Standby? And how long does it take to 'wake' from each state?

I am seeing different behavior between my wife's sp3 and mine - and even different behavior from what mine used to do.

Right now if mine is off (not shutdown) for 12+ hours and plugged in, it wakes up as soon as the charger is removed - the lock screen is displayed instantly. Where as my wife has to hit the power button after removing the charger and then the sp3 goes through a short 'waking up' sequence. Mine used to be like to be like this as well.

I have no idea why mine is displaying different behavior now. I have played with the power plans a bit, but don't I haven't touched them in awhile and this 'instant on' behavior is relatively new. And the plan looks have the same settings as my wife's.

Further, we use the metro app Pressreader - basically the app lets us read our local newspaper. As far as I can tell, all of our settings within the app are the same, however, when I open pressreader first thing in the morning, my daily newspaper is already downloaded and ready to go, whereas my wife still has to download hers (happens automatically once PR is opened).

I think I would attribute this to the fact that mine does not seem to be going any deeper to sleep than connected standby and therefore automatically 'gets' the new paper when it is available first thing in the wee hours. Before I exhibited this instant on behavior, I too had to download the paper upon opening the app.

In short, not sure why the behavior of my sp3 has changed and would appreciate any insight anyone may have.

malberttoo

Can you detail what happens in each in each of these states? i.e. do background metro processes run in all states or just in Connected Standby? And how long does it take to 'wake' from each state?

I am seeing different behavior between my wife's sp3 and mine - and even different behavior from what mine used to do.

Right now if mine is off (not shutdown) for 12+ hours and plugged in, it wakes up as soon as the charger is removed - the lock screen is displayed instantly. Where as my wife has to hit the power button after removing the charger and then the sp3 goes through a short 'waking up' sequence. Mine used to be like to be like this as well.

I have no idea why mine is displaying different behavior now. I have played with the power plans a bit, but don't I haven't touched them in awhile and this 'instant on' behavior is relatively new. And the plan looks have the same settings as my wife's.

Further, we use the metro app Pressreader - basically the app lets us read our local newspaper. As far as I can tell, all of our settings within the app are the same, however, when I open pressreader first thing in the morning, my daily newspaper is already downloaded and ready to go, whereas my wife still has to download hers (happens automatically once PR is opened).

I think I would attribute this to the fact that mine does not seem to be going any deeper to sleep than connected standby and therefore automatically 'gets' the new paper when it is available first thing in the wee hours. Before I exhibited this instant on behavior, I too had to download the paper upon opening the app.

In short, not sure why the behavior of my sp3 has changed and would appreciate any insight anyone may have.

I feel similarly. I really wish we had some kind of small activity LED, to at least tell us what state the machine was in.

Usually I simply close my Surface against the Type Cover, which I guess is Connected Standby. If I come back in an hour and open it, the keyboard instantly lights up, and if I press the power button the lock screen instantly comes on. If I don't press the power button, even though the keyboard is illuminated, I won't get the lock screen for 45 - 60 seconds. If I come back in 6 or 12 hours, the exact same behavior, i.e. instant keyboard illumination, instant lock screen with power button press.

If I have actually shut the Surface off, then I get the expected behavior, with a boot sequence etc.

I also am confused, and have no idea what the thing is actually doing at any given time.

ctitanic

Connected Standby is very different from traditional Sleep (ACPI S3) and Hibernate (ACPI S4) states.
Sleep and Hibernate completely pause all activity on the system when the processors are turned off. Activity remains paused until the user turns the system back on by pressing the power button, keyboard or touchpad. Connected Standby automatically pauses and resumes activity on the system while the screen is off to maintain connectivity and sync content from the cloud. The amount of activity is tightly controlled to help ensure low power and long battery life. However, the amount of activity varies for each Connected Standby as app activity changes with available networking or incoming data.
Sleep and Hibernate states do not maintain connectivity on the network (Wi-Fi, LAN or cellular). In Sleep and Hibernate modes, the networking devices are turned off until the user powers the system back on[1]. Connected Standby keeps the networking devices powered on, but in an extremely low-power mode to maintain connectivity. The Wi-Fi device is able to automatically roam between networks preferred by the user and alert Windows to important network traffic.
Sleep and Hibernate states completely pause all app, service, and driver activity when the processors are powered off. Connected Standby allows apps, services, and drivers to keep running, but in a tightly controlled manner to save power and extend battery life. Windows Store apps get a few seconds every 15 minutes to run background tasks, but desktop applications are paused for the duration of Connected Standby. Allowing apps to run in a controlled manner is how email sync and tile updates are performed during Connected Standby.
The traditional Sleep (ACPI S3) state consumes 500 milliwatts or more of average power consumption to maintain memory in self-refresh and allow the platform to wake on user input. This gives the typical mobile system with a 45-watt-hour battery just under 100 hours of Sleep time on a full charge. However, Connected Standby systems use low-power memory and power-optimized embedded controllers to consume less than 150 milliwatts in most configurations. This allows the typical platform to remain in Sleep for 300 hours on a full battery charge—3 times longer than the traditional Sleep state.
Connected Standby has longer battery life than Sleep and also maintains connectivity. This allows the user to no longer worry about the battery life tradeoff between Sleep and Hibernate, nor worry about the differences in resume performance. A user of a Connected Standby PC can just shut the lid or press the power button and be assured the system will enter a low-power mode and maintain connectivity—just like a smartphone.

[1] There are exceptions for Wired LAN devices supporting Wake-on-LAN (WoL). However, these are typically enabled on desktop and not mobile/battery-powered systems.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...4C9FDB/introduction-to-connected-standby.docx

foghat

Right. But, after 4 hours you are no longer in connected standby correct? which means no more instant on, correct? So there is no more network connectivity, correct?

What I am trying to figure out is why, now, I seem to be in connected standby even after 4 hours.

ctitanic

Right. But, after 4 hours you are no longer in connected standby correct? which means no more instant on, correct? So there is no more network connectivity, correct?

What I am trying to figure out is why, now, I seem to be in connected standby even after 4 hours.
You should not be always in connected standby unless something is running that prevents the unit to go in to deep sleep. In the morning, do you have use the power button to wake your Surface Up? if you do, that means that your Surface is not longer in connected Standby.

FlySwatter

... However, Connected Standby systems use low-power memory and power-optimized embedded controllers to consume less than 150 milliwatts in most configurations. This allows the typical platform to remain in Sleep for 300 hours on a full battery charge—3 times longer than the traditional Sleep state...
Thanks for that excerpt ctitanic. I had no idea connected standby was that efficeint. Kind of mind blowing.