FNG with Dumb questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by Blackhatch, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Blackhatch

Blackhatch New Member

Just thought I would label the thread accurately from the start.

In that vein, I appreciate all the feedback and information that any persons who take the time (I do appreciate your time) to provide.

Background:

I run a construction company and we currently use Excel contract to calculate estimates. I have looked at dedicated software solutions for estimate preparations but they seem to be lacking and I am not convinced of their long term viability and updates as the technology continues to move.

I am looking for a single source tool that my salespeople can use in the field to do the following (kind of in order or priority):
    • Prepare the estimate and have the customer sign it and all required documentation
    • Take pictures and make notes on the pictures for production department
    • Present the electronic presentation
    • Take notes
    • Take pictures for before and after
    • Take testimonial videos
    I am a self-admitted MAC person with a Macbook Air, iPad, etc. I think they have done a bunch to move the technology but it seems like they lack a bunch of stuff or maybe I am just too damn IT dunce to see it.

I very much appreciate any feedback you can provide. I bought my installation manager a Surface 2 but not the pro model. Is the Pro model they one that allows you to use the stylus to make notes and edit pictures.

Questions:
    • Do I need to opt for the pro model in order to have the ability to edit and sign documents
    • What robust covers and protection is there available (read construction sales guys abuse)
    • Is a solution, other than Surface that would work or that you would recommend?
    I am not married to this machine but I want to make a decision on what will most cover my needs and get the required number of units for the field personnel.

Thank you in advance.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    The Pro adds the Active Stylus Support (smoother Inking), the Surface 2 is a great machine but would need to use the same type of Stylus you would use on the iPad.

The latest Surface Pro model is the Surface Pro 3 and there are ruggedized cases for the Surface Pro, made by UAG, Incipio and others...I would also consider getting no-glare screen protectors for out door use.

Other options you could deploy are the new HP Business Tablets, the Elitebook G1000 is semi-ruggedized.

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you will find tablet cameras in the same class as phone cameras especially the Fixed focus Surface Pro 3 camera.

Some phones have great cameras, you might be better off having them use a phone to take photos/videos with although you might get passable shots with the Surface 2. Editing, annotating might depend on the level of detail and accuracy you're looking for.

I think a lot of this depends on your specific needs, if you've been doing this kind of thing then a field test should reveal pretty quickly how well it will work for you.

I don't know if you'll find much or any construction software in the store to help.

Re Excel Contract, is that an Excel add-on module? or something you created? You might need the Pro if there are Macros or 3rd party add-ons.

4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Regarding your question about construction software, it depends on what you are looking for. I'm an adjuster and I use PowerClaim (Hawkins Research out of KY). I've used Xactimate, but I really don't like it as well as PowerClaim; however, Xactimate has its adherents too. Both of these products are Windows programs. To me, PowerClaim is more intuitive and easier to use. Xactimate has a higher learning curve, but may offer other advantages. I suggest checking their websites and probably running demo units to see what you think.

5. Blackhatch

Blackhatch New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I realize the stylus on the non-pros is the rubber tipped and therefore less detailed marking.

Will all the Pros (i.e. 2 and 3) come with the nicer and finer point stylus?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Yes, the Pro devices all have the Active Digitizer, the first two Generations use Wacom and the 3rd Generation uses N-Trig...

7. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Hey, @Blackhatch ,

I am a geophysicist, and take my Surface Pro 3 out into the field - sometimes even on 2 wheels due to twisty and narrow mountain roads. I use my SP3 for mapping, land plats, rock and radiation data entry, and other stuff. I have an Apple a day, also, since I still like my MacBook Pro Retina, and other Apple devices.

But the Surface Pro 3, with the case shown here, has become my vocational companion.

Check out Surface Pro 3 in the Wild,
    and Rugged Case...