What's new

Has performance improved any since release?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think some here are buying into Apple's and Alphabet's propaganda here....because @GreyFox7 you're implying that only ARM/ATOM are traditional tablets but Microsoft beat all of them to market by 6 years using more traditional x86 systems in Tablet form granted we were a niche market...now Microsoft and Intel have been able to actually deliver on the TabletPC promise.

The Surface Pro devices are tablets as are the new Vaio Canvas, ThinkPad Helix and the slew of 2 and 1 Ultrabooks. In fact currently the Wintel 2 and 1 devices are the only segment seeing growth in the tablet market, the rest is in decline being usurped by Phablet Devices....

And for the record I like Windows 10, I've upgraded all of my machines in my household to it and running 10525 on my SP3 and S3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think some here are buying into Apple's and Alphabet's propaganda here....because @GreyFox7 you're implying that only ARM/ATOM are traditional tablets but Microsoft beat all of them to market by 6 years using more traditional x86 systems in Tablet form granted we were a niche market...now Microsoft and Intel have been able to actually deliver on the TabletPC promise.

The Surface Pro devices are tablets as are the new Vaio Canvas, ThinkPad Helix and the slew of 2 and 1 Ultrabooks. In fact currently the Wintel 2 and 1 devices are the only segment seeing growth in the tablet market, the rest is in decline being usurped by Phablet Devices....

And for the record I like Windows 10, I've upgraded all of my machines in my household to it and running 10525 on my SP3 and S3.
No I'm just proposing comparing apples with apples because comparing apples and oranges is nonsense.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No I'm just proposing comparing apples with apples because comparing apples and oranges is nonsense.
Apple and Alphabet did that before Microsoft brought compelling devices to market :) they've just been shot by their own gun ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apple and Alphabet did that before Microsoft brought compelling devices to market :) they've just been shot by their own gun ;)
As many have done, at a very high level it's good to know if you're looking at Lexus or Chevy etc. etc. but beyond that the differences make comparison messy. In the right use cases they each have their merits but not necessarily the same use cases.

In many ways I like the S3 better than the SP3 and vice versa but they are just different devices and the SP3 has the souped up engine. :) it also shoots fire out the sides :)

CrippsCorner

Oh God, do we really have to call Google, Alphabet now lol... can't get used to that.

Whether Surface is a tablet or not is summed up by Microsoft's tagline I think! "The tablet that can replace your laptop" :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh God, do we really have to call Google, Alphabet now lol... can't get used to that.

Whether Surface is a tablet or not is summed up by Microsoft's tagline I think! "The tablet that can replace your laptop" :)
I guess we will see what happens when Apple enters the "Professional" Tablet market :)

lookingforward

The Surface 3 is the heaviest I'd ever want to go with a tablet and that is one of the reasons I chose it over the SP3. I also love the fanless design and I wouldn't want to deal with fan noise or worrying if my hands are covering too much of the fan vents on a tablet.

The 3:2 screen ratio is my favorite hardware feature exclusive to the Surface line. IMO, it offers the greatest versatility in landscape and portrait use. I also appreciate that all my digital photos are 3:2 and fill the screen perfectly.

InspectHerGadget

I had issues with my S3 which was one of the first released so I sent it back and my wife is happily typing away on the Surface 2 we got nearly two years ago now.

I miss Windows RT. No worries about crap installing on the browser or viruses. No antivirus needed. Never given us any issues.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as a why not..I've been asked a number of times what I mean by slow, sluggish etc. I found on average (it is rather hard to quantify) that similar instances of lag existed in 8.1 for me, but in different instances, naturally.

that is a pretty much clean install of 10. While I appreciate it is full blown windows, the responsiveness is pretty lacking imo.

lookingforward

I did a standard upgrade from Windows 8.1 and it is very fast. There is no lag compared to what I saw in your video bringing up the action center.

Go into desktop IE - Manage Add-ons - add Easy List, Easy Privacy, and Stop Google Tracking. Those are essential and adding them in Desktop IE also adds them to Metro IE. Note embedded YouTube videos wont work with stop google tracking hut they will play on YouTube.

I was able to add the first two but got a message when trying to add Stop Google Tracking that says "The Tracking Protection List is not formatted correctly and does not contain any allow or block rules." Any advice on this? Thank you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was able to add the first two but got a message when trying to add Stop Google Tracking that says "The Tracking Protection List is not formatted correctly and does not contain any allow or block rules." Any advice on this? Thank you.
Nope, it seems to be broke or Google hacked it, it's a shame... it used to work really well.