What's new

How fast is your OneDrive?

bluegrass

Dropbox is incredibly slow for me. I recently installed the Win10 tech preview on my desktop machine and it took overnight for it to download 15gb of Onedrive data over a wired cable modem connection that is capable of downloading at 12.5 megabytes per second. I then installed Onedrive on a MacBook Air and it took so long over the wireless connection that after about 4 hours I gave up and copied all the data off my Win10 pc onto a thumb drive and then copied from the thumb drive to the Air. I have looked this up on the internet and it is not an uncommon occurrence. iDrive and DropBox are much much faster, but I prefer Onedrive for many reasons, so I keep using it.

I think you're confusing your computer speed to your modem with the Internet speed which is probably more like a few mega bits (about one tenth of megabytes). The whole concept of cloud technology is for file syncing to take place in the background. Folks should poke some files into your cloud and than go about doing other things forget it & leave your Surface connected when you're not doing anything. I don't see any reason to be worrying about cloud syncing speed.

Sliksock

I think you're confusing your computer speed to your modem with the Internet speed which is probably more like a few mega bits (about one tenth of megabytes). The whole concept of cloud technology is for file syncing to take place in the background. Folks should poke some files into your cloud and than go about doing other things forget it & leave your Surface connected when you're not doing anything. I don't see any reason to be worrying about cloud syncing speed.

I know how fast my internet speed is, thank you very much.

daniielrp

I find OneDrive to be a bit slower than DropBox, I recently had to upload about 8GB and it took almost 8hrs! My upload speed is more than quick enough to be able to complete this in a hour or two, so not sure what is going on with it.

OP
N

note3

I just noticed that there are 2 ways for uploading files.

The first way is fast:.
Here I have to login into onedrive.login.com. There I can use the option upload.
The disadvantage is that I can upload only single files, but no folders.

The second way is very slow.
I have folders OneDrive on the PC and SP3 and I just throw files or folders into the folder OneDrive.
After a long time I can use the stuff on the second device.
What confuses me here is the following:
The green marker shows (I think) that the file or folder is uploaded, but
- it takes additional very long time before I can download a file to the second device
- the next day it can happen that the green marker changed to blue marker which means (I think) that the file is not uploaded. It again takes long time till the markers changes to green. Does this perhaps mean that some files are uploaded again?
SP3_OneDrive.jpg

Liam2349

Actually a lot of the time I sync stuff, it's because I want it available immediately on another device. The amount of time it takes for OneDrive to even start uploading really annoys me. Skype is also shocking with image sending, probably because of OneDrive.

leeshor

Exactly. It needs to check all the folder's attributes on all the files to see if they too need to be synced. The larger the folder size and number of files the longer it will take to check them all.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's hoping the file system in W10 has attributes for that; synced, scanned, etc to cut down on some redundant processing.

riggi

Exactly. It needs to check all the folder's attributes on all the files to see if they too need to be synced. The larger the folder size and number of files the longer it will take to check them all.
And, therein lies the problem.
It's nice for MS to give everyone 1TB of storage, but if your infrastructure is so inefficient, it has the potential to just frustrate and annoy users.
Also, from what I understand, with OneDrive, if you edit a synced file on your local machine, OneDrive will upload the whole file again to the cloud.
Dropbox and Mega have some sort of smarts behind them that only uploads the changed part of the file. I read that a while ago, so maybe MS have updated their method now, but it's still slow.

Kind of related... This morning, I edited some docs at home on my tablet and saved them to OneDrive.
When I got to the office this morning, I wanted to open them up and keep working on them. The systray icon didn't have the blue circle indicating it was syncing, but when I clicked on it, I saw this:

11TxKVa

http://1drv.ms/11TxKVa

It took about 5 minutes (maybe longer) before it changed to a blue circle and synced.

leeshor

I don't think your statement about DropBox only syncing a change is correct. But it does it in the background so you may not even notice it unless you see a/the notification.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive uses differential uploads as well and if there is a conflict between multiple versions you'll get a duplicate file appended with the Machine Name....