What's new

Microsoft Wireless Adapter?

bells0

Why won't it work with my SP3?!!

Just got today, works fine with my Lumia 930, struggled with my Stream 7 - but i unplugged then retried and it works fine with that.

But its driving me nuts that the SP3 wont connect!! See's it fine and is there in devices, but the connecting screen just times out.

Waste of £48 right now. Downloaded the app and that suggest that tghe firmware is up to date, what next??

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why won't it work with my SP3?!!

Just got today, works fine with my Lumia 930, struggled with my Stream 7 - but i unplugged then retried and it works fine with that.

But its driving me nuts that the SP3 wont connect!! See's it fine and is there in devices, but the connecting screen just times out.

Waste of £48 right now. Downloaded the app and that suggest that tghe firmware is up to date, what next??
Roll back your video driver to one of the older Intel Drivers (November would be good). I would also assume that MS is working on the long term fix.

OP
bells0

bells0

Tried messing with the drivers last night to no avail. Will have another crack tonight after work. Anyone who has the adapter working, can you tell me which driver version you have?

OP
bells0

bells0

What good timing!!! Although a shame i have to contact them, at work so can't really do that. Hope they can answer later on.

Or do you already know which driver to get - if it is that?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What good timing!!! Although a shame i have to contact them, at work so can't really do that. Hope they can answer later on.

Or do you already know which driver to get - if it is that?
It is been customized for the Surface Pro 2 and/or Surface Pro 3, most likely it will be part of the April or May Firmware Update but they are making it available as a hotfix now...

OP
bells0

bells0

Sorry to be a newbie [always had macs, new to Surface and Windows] - but what does a hotfix mean?? And is the only way via contacting CS?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to be a newbie [always had macs, new to Surface and Windows] - but what does a hotfix mean?? And is the only way via contacting CS?
Hotfix - Is also known in the industry as a QEF or Quick Engineering Fix, these are created to address a specific and pressing issue (in this case the Miracast Issue) and are released like this as they are still be incorporated into a long term fix (such as the new Firmware Update). Hotfixes that impact a wider audience are released as normal Updates. So it is only occasionally that one would need to reach out directly to MS for the fix. You can wait until it is released wider, but if you want it now you need to call support.

JohnR

I contacted the MS TS and they sent me the new driver (117MB file). Installed on my SP3 i7/256 and the version of the driver is 10.18.14.4080. Reboot and tried Screen Mirroring on my 2 Sony TV sets (KDL-50W800B and XBR-49X850B). In both cases I was able eventually to connect but connection was usually dropped after 2/3 minutes. I tried the MDA on both TV sets and all worked just fine.

Interesting thing is both TV sets work fine when I try Screen Mirroring from my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). KDL-50W800B occasionally drops connection but XBR-49X850B works solid.

In my opinion MS/Intel need to do more tweaking before the driver is 100% reliable and ready for general public.

cemian

I contacted the MS TS and they sent me the new driver (117MB file). Installed on my SP3 i7/256 and the version of the driver is 10.18.14.4080. Reboot and tried Screen Mirroring on my 2 Sony TV sets (KDL-50W800B and XBR-49X850B). In both cases I was able eventually to connect but connection was usually dropped after 2/3 minutes. I tried the MDA on both TV sets and all worked just fine.

Interesting thing is both TV sets work fine when I try Screen Mirroring from my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). KDL-50W800B occasionally drops connection but XBR-49X850B works solid.

In my opinion MS/Intel need to do more tweaking before the driver is 100% reliable and ready for general public.

My problem is that I cannot connect to the device when it was previously working before the system update i believe...i removed it from devices to try to reinstall it but i cannot see the device when I try to add it....i thought it was the display drivers but i did try various versions which I have the newest now 4080...any ideas?

Last edited: