What's new

New TV Commercials

daonei

I think attack ad's just cement the perception that Apple is the market leader. Microsoft needs to first carve out a niche with trend setters and then let the masses follow. If I was Satya Nadella I would first let the world know Microsoft is in it for the long haul with the Surface Pro line. Secondly, I would fire their current advertising company and find someone who could emphasize how the SP3 is a very innovative high quality device for a special class of users.

I completely agree. I get that they want to go advertise their product against the market leader, but you can't really compare the SP3 with the MBA if you're not even willing to include a keyboard into the deal. Even if they have to raise the price to include both, they should just have the Surfaces come with a keyboard so that they can actually claim that they're competing against another laptop. If you're not willing to include one, then it's only a tablet that can technically run Windows, and you can actually use it like a laptop if you're willing to pay more for something that already comes with a laptop. A completely unfair comparison. It would have been such good PR if they said the SP3 would come with keyboards, even if they had to raise the starting price. And it's not like we have options anymore other than color anyways...

I also agree that they need better marketing directors. They make the worst advertisements and commercials. Nadella's lackluster presentations don't help either. I have never liked Macs and don't ever plan on owning one. I've owned both the SP1 and SP3 and love both. But Microsoft will always be scoffed at by the media as they've been over the past few years when they can't even make the products appealing. I bought my Surfaces for the usability and product. Not everyone wants a touchscreen or a pen. What about battery life? Keyboard/trackpad? There's so much the Surface lacks that they'll just get attacked for trying to compete with the MBA.

Liam2349

These aren't attack ads - they do a great job of showing that Surface Pro isn't just a tablet.

These ads address the common idea that Surface is just for tablet stuff, and introduce you to the fact that they have full laptop functionality and then some.

dstrauss

These aren't attack ads - they do a great job of showing that Surface Pro isn't just a tablet.

These ads address the common idea that Surface is just for tablet stuff, and introduce you to the fact that they have full laptop functionality and then some.

+1 x 1,000

I am so tired of folks saying these are "attack ads" or "disrespecting my MacBook" crap. Since when is pointing out the difference with your competitors product an "attack." If an Apple fanboy finds these to be attack ads, then I say that exposes an underlying insecurity that perhaps the other guy really does have something I don't...:cool:

willgill

This "but it doesn't include a keyboard" doesn't make sense to me. Thank God it DOESN'T include a type pad. Let's examine......

If it did include a type pad, Microsoft would need a different SKU for each color of type pad adding to stocking waste. Worse yet, what about people that don't want a type pad? You want to FORCE the cost of a type pad on them?

You can make similar argument against Apple. Are you incensed that Macbooks don't come with a pen input device? Oh the humanity!

Thank you Microsoft for being efficient and giving us options and not listening to people who want to force the cost of a type pad on us.

raqball

This "but it doesn't include a keyboard" doesn't make sense to me. Thank God it DOESN'T include a type pad. Let's examine......
If it did include a type pad, Microsoft would need a different SKU for each color of type pad adding to stocking waste. Worse yet, what about people that don't want a type pad? You want to FORCE the cost of a type pad on them?
You can make similar argument against Apple. Are you incensed that Macbooks don't come with a pen input device? Oh the humanity!
Thank you Microsoft for being efficient and giving us options and not listening to people who want to force the cost of a type pad on us.
Well.........

I'm in the camp that thinks the typecover should be included.

The marketing always shows the KB, the commercials always show a KB and it's marketed as a tablet that can replace your laptop. Sure it can, but that functionality actually cost extra.

I saw a couple looking at the SP3 and they were ready to buy one until they were told the KB was an extra $130. The female half of the couple rolled her eyes, said no thanks, grabbed the man by the hand and off they went.

Why does there need to be a different SKU? Buy the SP3 and pick the color KB you want. You walk out with an SP3 box and a typecover box..

Liam2349

Well.........

I'm in the camp that thinks the typecover should be included.

The marketing always shows the KB, the commercials always show a KB and it's marketed as a tablet that can replace your laptop. Sure it can, but that functionality actually cost extra.

I saw a couple looking at the SP3 and they were ready to buy one until they were told the KB was an extra $130. The female half of the couple rolled her eyes, said no thanks, grabbed the man by the hand and off they went.

Why does there need to be a different SKU? Buy the SP3 and pick the color KB you want. You walk out with an SP3 box and a typecover box..

What was stopping this couple from doing exactly that?

raqball

What was stopping this couple from doing exactly that?

I don't think she was happy that she needed to spend an extra $130 and my guess is that she assumed the KB was included.

If all you did was watch the commercials, you'd think its included. I haven't seen a 'keyboard sold separately' disclaimer in the TV spots..

Edit to add: I just noticed the KB sold separately disclaimer but it's small and goes by fast. I had to pause the video to be able to read it.

Last edited:

Liam2349

I don't think she was happy that she needed to spend an extra $130 and my guess is that she assumed the KB was included.

If all you did was watch the commercials, you'd think its included. I haven't seen a 'keyboard sold separately' disclaimer in the TV spots..

I think they are in a difficult position with marketing. The device is a tablet, but people are not yet used to the concept of tablets that function as laptops.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with their 3kg laptops who see me with my SP3 and think i'm using an inferior tablet that can't do anything. It will take some time for people to see otherwise. As unfortunate as it is, that will probably only happen when Apple makes an iPad pro as they control most of the casual market, or if Samsung decided to make a similar device for their more intermediate market.

As it stands with Microsoft not being a 'major player' in producing computers, they can't make it mainstream on their own, but I hope they can find a way to work around this perception issue with the keyboard.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So those who don't want or need the keyboard (i.e. all those who wanted to use a Logitech or Wedge Keyboard), what do say to them? Microsoft would obviously need to raise the cost to cover they keyboard cost (R&D, Manufacturing, Packaging and Logistics). The Cover is manufactured separately from the Surface Devices. Not everyone wants, needs a Type Cover.