What's new

So long SP3 friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy

Why do people have the need to post on a Surface enthusiast website that they're returning their SP3? Everyone should do what's best for themselves and if the SP3 doesn't suite their needs they should return it. However it's not really something a SP3 owner really wants to hear.
But it might just be something that prospective SP3 purchasers want to hear.

Last edited:

kundas1

No luck required....the Surface Pro 3 is Phu-Ken Awesome!

fry.jpg

ipaq_101

JERRY: Bad peach?
KRAMER: It's terrible!
JERRY: Did you get that at Joe's?
KRAMER: Yeah, of course I got it at Joe's.
JERRY: That's surprising, his fruit is usually the best.
KRAMER: You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna return this.
JERRY: You're returning used fruit?
KRAMER: Jerry this peach is sub par.
[location: Joe's]
JOE: So what do you want me to do?
KRAMER: I want restitution.
JOE: Restitution? You want restitution? Why should I give you restitution?
KRAMER: Because it's no good.
JOE: When you put that fruit out, that's where it ends for me.
KRAMER: It's still your fruit, you gotta stand behind your fruit.
JOE: I stand behind my fruit.
KRAMER: So...
JOE: Hey, you got a bad peach? That's an act of God. He makes the peaches. I don't make the peaches, I sell the peaches. You have a problem? You talk to him.
KRAMER: You know this whole place is going vrrrrrrrrrrrrt, downhill. I could have come in here last week with a bad plum but I let it go.
JOE: Well let me put a solution for you: do your business elsewhere, I don't want your business.
KRAMER: Oh now you don't want my business.
JOE: No, I don't want your business and from this moment you're banned from the store, you're banned!

Haha sorry, this entire thread reminded me of this episode.

Seneleron

More often than not the SP3 forum reminds me more of the macrumors forum than anything else. The ONLY difference is, people aren't ostricized, shunned, and bad mouthed for not liking the Surface as they would be if they made a single negative comment about a mac.

What REALLY blows my mind is. . I've USED Macs. They run UNGODLY hot! Up until the latest OS X, watching netflix set my 2013 mac mini at 96c and KEPT it there without running SMCfan control. Even now it hovers in the mid 70c range, about the same as the SP3. As for me, I'm an enthusiast. I've made a few attempts to patiently explain that the SP3, while warm, is actually WELL WITHIN it's thermal spec [Tjunction 100c]. I firmly believe the SP3 could run a lot cooler. . but you've got all these people complaining that it has a fan that moves air, and therefore is louder than ambient background noise. What do you think is gonna happen when you don't have a volume of air running over a heat generating source???

And, because I'm ranting on my little soapbox. . who the heck holds the SP3 by the top right quadrant??? Maybe that's unfair. . . but the kickstand is almost MADE to be left out so you can rest it between your fingers while holding it.

All I got from the O/P was "I returned my surface because while I liked the idea of it, I actually needed a different tool to do a different job. "I wanted a screwdriver, but what I actually NEEDED was a hammer", as it were. Good for you, man! You realized you bought the wrong tool for the job, and you went out and purchased it. I'm happy for ya, I really am.

[the following statement is the sum of all the frustration over all these pointless needless "SP3 sucks because" threads on these forums, and all the Apple-centric ludites hawking their overpriced PC clones.]

So, with all due respect, HEAD BACK OVER TO MACRUMORS AND GET THE (expletive deleted) OFF OUR LAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lemuel

Seneleron I know that your comments are directed at the douglasfurs, but you did say some thing in there that can be applied to what I commented earlier. I agree that the SP3 runs within its thermal limits and other computers get as hot if not hotter than the SP3 (my old Dell D630 ran much hotter than SP3). However, I used the SP3 more like a tablet than a computer. As a result, I held it like a tablet most of the time and when I held it in landscape mode my right hand fell towards the upper right portion of the Surface. For me it was noticeable and was enough of a reason (along with the others) for me to wait for future versions.

As a Microsoft enthusiast, there is no reason why we can't both like and criticize what is put out by MS. The heat is an issue in the tablet form factor and I would still argue that the placement of the hot components is incorrect. It will be resolved in a future version as it is a function of hardware that hasn't caught up to the Surface vision and poor placement (at least from a user perspective).

I wanted the screwdriver and I still want the screwdriver, but I also have this older screwdriver that I can use till the improved screwdriver is released. As far as a Mac enthusiasts coming here after trying the SP3 and not end up not liking it? I say thanks for trying it. That is much farther than most Mac enthusiast would go.

ipaq_101

The reasons ipads don't get warm is because all you do is play silly touch games and read news on it. There is no need for any major processing, so go hold your ice cold ipads and be cool.

bkydcmpr

once I receive my i7, I'd give microsoft 30 days to fix the throttling issue, if not I'll return it and check back when sp4 comes out. disappointed to see the i3 version outperformed i5, this is a big mess.

wynand32

once I receive my i7, I'd give microsoft 30 days to fix the throttling issue, if not I'll return it and check back when sp4 comes out. disappointed to see the i3 version outperformed i5, this is a big mess.

Sorry, where is it shown that the i3 SP3 outperforms the i5?

PocketAce

People complaining about the cost of the SP3 still blows my mind. The sony vaio Z which was the king of ultra books was around 1800$. Most vendors Dell, HP, Samsung selling ultrabooks with 4k displays start at around 1100-1200$. The SP3 could be a little cheaper yes...but you have understand Microsoft has been out of the "PC" manufacturing game for years. The SP3 is still a device of great value. An Ipad goes up to 800$ no one seem to talk prices. Hell people forget Apple recently dropped their pricing for the MBP. People also forgot Apple hardware refresh is slower than the PC market. They wait for the chip prices to go down and still sell you the same MBP for the same price. If someone said they returned the SP3 to built a desktop or bought a Mac Pro, I can understand that. Any other statement on price i think miss judges value/price. Statements based user experience or opinion i can live with. 9/10 they bought the wrong device for their needs.

Is the SP3 prefect no but if they didn't make it slimmer people will hate saying "its too blucky for a tablet". I can't even say how many times people said that about the SP2.

I glad people got to test drive the SP3 and found out it wasn't for them. I just don't want people who this product is prefect for to be miss informed.

ipaq_101

You read about one custom benchmark out of 15 other tests anandtech did and somehow you have the i3 outperforming the i5? Btw the i3 after the first try also failed the test just like the i5. You must be awful at reading comprehension. Man some people believe what they want to believe, who cares about stats and facts anyway.

gtext

You can't compare a MacBook Pro with a Surface. Two completely different machines. MBP does not have a touch screen, cannot be used as a tablet, runs OS X (yes, you can run Windows on it), and has a great display. But you would need an iPad to get the full benefit of what the Surface represents. Funny how I have been able to run just about everything on my SP3 and I am moving from both a MBP and iPad. The iPad is gathering dust, and the MBP will go away once I am able to successfully convert my Parallels VMs to VMware (I'm getting very close). So it's getting close.

I'll need to do this also when I get my SP3. Converting my Parallels VM to run on the SP3. Only one Windows XP VM. But I'm only just started looking at my options. Interested if you have any tips or procedures on that.

When you make a deep salary, cost isn't really an issue. I don't care if an ipad and MBP cost 5k. I still understand value and worth of an object. Like I said, the value and worth wasn't there.

Some hostility in these forums. Funny and expected I suppose.

And I agree, regardless of comments being positive or negative, it might be something owners want to hear. I was an owner and I wanted to know these things, especially while it was within my return window.

Seneleron - this may be your lawn but this thread is our back porch. Perhaps you should follow your own advice and get the bleep off our back porch! You're like the mindless parents who take their child to an R rated movie and then complain to the MPAA about language and nudity. Don't like what us leavers have to say, cool "brah" then leave our thread. See what I did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.