What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I swapped out a lot#1348 with the 4200 for a #1350 with the 4300 cpu earlier this week...definitely an upgrade...I don't know what else they've done, but this is much better than my original...more refined...pen tracking is top notch, which was really my only issue I had with my original...all corners, hella accurate and I haven't done one calibration yet...my original was retarded when it came to accuracy near the edges and corners...I did notice that on the first night that while in power saving mode my tablet started spazzing...became unusable...luckily I saw where some one posted that warning and suggested getting out of power saving mode...and ive been surfing hard ever since...installed the 10-24-13 update this morning...don't know what it did...but no issues

Congrats on your upgrade. I had the screen dimming or flickering issue myself with my 4200 and I don't have it now on my 4300. I read elsewhere that you like using performance mode. I haven't tried that. Do you notice much difference in that mode in basic tasks such as web surfing or running Office?

mennogreg

I have a 4200U, and my pen has always been accurate throughout the screen, but I never did a calibration, as I heard that was the cause of issues in some cases.

nadeem

I just placed order with 512gb and have been told that according to internal memo to them three days ago, all shipments are with new processor.

received unit, it is lot 1348, i will not open up and return - this lot is definitely 4200u.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I just placed order with 512gb and have been told that according to internal memo to them three days ago, all shipments are with new processor.

received unit, it is lot 1348, i will not open up and return - this lot is definitely 4200u.

I am usually an even tempered individual but under this circumstance I would call them and demand a unit overnighted to me with return postage for Fed Ex/UPS for the unopened box! That's a little ridiculous! Someone else had said that when you call customer service to make sure to get them to call the warehouse and that is how you can best guarantee that you will get the updated processor.

ricard2798

Today i received a lot 1352 256 surface pro 2, with the 4300U. I ordered this from best buy 3 days ago. It seems like they show up on their site for shipping once or twice every day for a small time. I ordered this to return (also at bestbuy) my 128gb 4300U (wanted the extra memory for 3d sculpting with zbrush (and gaming).

Is worth saying I picked up a 64gb 1402 that has the 4300?

After multiple issues with SP2s back around launch, I've finally decided to give it another try, hoping the new CPU helps the sleep crash issue. Also, I can't find any other device worth buying with a pen!

Flash

He probably was, although is probably confused as he said "Is that to say that I can remote into a surface pro with this new chip?" - as mentioned, you can already remote into a surface pro (even with 4200U). VPro adds features that allow you to remotely access the device 'out of band', that's to say, while the OS is rebooting, access the BIOS settings etc. Barely useful for most users I'd say, unless you're using it as a permanent workstation (I wonder, would it even support 'KVM' over wireless...)
The big caveat here is that this would almost certainly need firmware support, which presumably MS are working on for corporates but it's no guarantee that this would come any time soon - that's probably something touted for the official Surface 3 as to state that Surface 2 supports this (on an unofficial S2.5) would be a logistic nightmare for them.
The other feature of the 4300U is VT-D, which is nigh on irrelevant for tablets/laptops where you don't have dedicated resources for virtualisation.

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. And yes you can via wifi out of band PROVIDED it's one of a few (I don't recall off the top of my head the models that support this) of intel wireless cards/chips (which is why I asked if anyone knows what wifi chip is in this slightly new version of the SP2).
It's a feature that (if supported) is turned on in the bios. I haven't followed vPRO's development very closely but it (in my opinion) is one of those features that (in my mind) I can't believe did exist before now.... Same goes for the Surface Pro device form factor/build quality running a windows OS.... But I digress...

On a side note, when I subscribed to this thread it was supposed to notify me on every post, yet waited 2 days before sending an email... Seems odd on a thread as active this one.

Flash

<Edit: Apparently the question about which wireless chip wasn't in my original post... I guess I managed to fat-finger it out... Posting from a phone sucks...>

Last edited:

Pentad

An update to my other post:

Since I called the MS Store and ordered a SP2 512GB w/4300 CPU the shipment is coming from a Canadian warehouse. Before my other 2 orders came from the warehouse in Grove City, Ohio. I wonder if Grove City still has old stock?

Just an FYI,
-P