What's new

The most popular Surface

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As a TabletPC user the SP3 is far better than any other Tablet on the market including the Pro 1 and 2, this is the device we've dreamed of back 2001, the 3:2 high resolution screen with its thin profile make using this as note taking device and research tool with no rival...

And the fact that it can be used as a laptop as well makes it much more versatile then any other product on the market.

kristalsoldier

As a TabletPC user the SP3 is far better than any other Tablet on the market including the Pro 1 and 2, this is the device we've dreamed of back 2001, the 3:2 high resolution screen with its thin profile make using this as note taking device and research tool with no rival...

And the fact that it can be used as a laptop as well makes it much more versatile then any other product on the market.

I agree wholeheartedly! When MS released the Surface line, I was really gung-ho about the RT variant and I backed-up my enthusiasm by first buying the original RT (which was good, but the kickstand was a problem) and later the Surface 2 RT, which was very good. Jeff may remember the number of conversations I had with him - both via PM (usually on battery-related matters) and on this forum - on the pros (and seldom cons) of the Surface 2. I used the heck out of mine. Took it on trips - local and international. I also used it to present papers at some high-profile conferences. It worked brilliantly. The crunch, however, came one day when I was working on a paper that I was then writing and needed to use a referencing software. Being an RT device, installation of an .exe file was an insurmountable issue. Moreover, I really don't like the 16:10 AR - never have!

When the SP3 was announced, I was excited. I was even more excited as I learned that it would sport the profile of the Surface 2, which I find to be perfect in many ways. To say that I like the SP3 would be an understatement. It is an ideal device for me. It has the approximate power of my desktop. The screen is excellent. The AR is ideal and the profile is ideally suited to my rather nomadic and bohemian work-style. The best of all is the Pen - something that I use extensively!

So, yes, I agree when Jeff says that this is the device that at least I have been dreaming of. Oh...and I should mention that if my SP3 performs the way it currently is (hopefully, MS will not screw things up with flawed updates and Windows 9, when that comes around), I have little need for a Broadwell device in the immediate future.

Last edited:

FlySwatter

Actually I think the SP4 will be the one where they finally perfect his device but SP3 is worlds better than SP2 and pretty damned good.
I'm going to respectfully disagree here -- from a processor perspective. I think the SP4 will be a a very nice refinement of the SP3, moderately (but respectfully) gaining both battery life and power, and surely they'll find a way to get the form factor smaller a tiny bit more as well. But Broadwell is still the same architecture as Haswell; it's the Tock in the Tick-Tock cycle of processor development. What follows Broadwell should bring significant increases in all areas: speed, power, and GPU performance.

I won't upgrade to the SP4 from my SP3, but I'll probably be throwing my money at MS for the SP5 assuming it catches the Tick side of the Intel processor development cycle.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my SP3; not perfect, but as close as I can get for now.

mitchellvii

Yep, I'd have to say I'm as happy with the SP3 as I have ever been with any piece of technology. Finally gave into tech lust and returned the i3 for an i5 and yeah, while the i3 works just fine, there are a million little things the i5 just does better. A little quicker here, a little smoother there. For $200 extra (and not having to worry about SSD space?), worth it.

So far have not had any of the overheating, shutting down or touch screen issues others have experienced. They just got a brand new shipment in at BestBuy and I made sure they gave me one. Could have been earlier manufacturing runs had some issues. So far at least, this i5 is aces.

kristalsoldier

Yep, I'd have to say I'm as happy with the SP3 as I have ever been with any piece of technology. Finally gave into tech lust and returned the i3 for an i5 and yeah, while the i3 works just fine, there are a million little things the i5 just does better. A little quicker here, a little smoother there. For $200 extra (and not having to worry about SSD space?), worth it.

So far have not had any of the overheating, shutting down or touch screen issues others have experienced. They just got a brand new shipment in at BestBuy and I made sure they gave me one. Could have been earlier manufacturing runs had some issues. So far at least, this i5 is aces.

Which i5 did you get? The 128 or the 256GB version?

malberttoo

You got the i5, awesome! Of course, that now makes you the resident expert on all the "should I get an i3 or i5" questions... :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved the concept from the get go, it was just poorly implemented to the point if putting me off. One of the biggest issue being the kickstands limitations on the previous models, not the hardware or form factor (although having now used an sp3 in store I Sam very happy they switched aspect ration). The Microsoft employee I was with was actually shocked when I said the kickstand was the biggest reason I didn't get an sp2.

The day of reckoning is nearly here. 4 more days. To you Americans this must just be zzzzzzz, but we've been watching you guys with your toys and have been waiting a long time! :)

Bandito

Just a thought, but is the SP3 actually more popular, thus generating a rapid rise in the number of threads, or is it just more buggy, which results in the same thing.

We need more detailed data for further analysis! :rolleyes: