What's new

Type cover opinions

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I think the Surface Pro 3 Type Cover is an almost perfect keyboard, broad keys, nice depression for quick typing, doubles up as a cover, does not weigh a lot.
One gigantic flaw though: It is not bluetooth. For $130, I expected it to be bluetooth so that I can use my surface Pro 3 in Portrait mode or I prefer my surface pro to be further away from the keyboard. That just sucks.
That would defeat the biggest advantage of the covers.... they work in Pre-boot. Microsoft offered a Bluetooth attachment but it didn't sell well enough and has been discontinued but is still available online.

daniielrp

That would defeat the biggest advantage of the covers.... they work in Pre-boot. Microsoft offered a Bluetooth attachment but it didn't sell well enough and has been discontinued but is still available online.

I may be wrong in the exact working here...but my iMac's K/B and mouse (both of which are bluetooth) work before boot too, all the cmd/option/p/r etc boot commands work as soon as the device is on, so I assume there must be a way for MS to implement this on the Surface too?

And I think one reason why MS discontinued there BT attachment was also it's abysmal battery life - 2hr keyboard v 8hr tablet.

GTiceman

I use a BT keyboard for my work system and it works pre-boot as our drives require a bitlocker password to even boot.

As for the Type Cover, my take is wireless would be awesome in a very similar form factor that charges from the SP3 wen they are both plugged in. There is flex to the keyboard but I am not a heavy typer so it is minimal for me. I do not mind typing on when I am traveling. I do type a lot as I am a lawyer and constantly editing documents and I don't mind using it at all, though I did at first. I do love my BT keyboard, but I wish there was a better option from Logitech or someone else that allowed fast swtiching between devices and not just a small form factor like the 810.

I also did not pay $130 for it, too high IMO as well, I ordered mine from for $60 Amazon and it was used like new, still in the box. I think it should be bundled and allow the user to pick the color at checkout, or maybe just bundle at the MS store and for certain levels.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With a Bluetooth device to work in Pre-boot using Secure Boot (as all Connected Standby Machines require) the drivers would need to be built into the Firmware in pre-paired, this could be implemented by Microsoft but it would also "lock" you into their specific keyboard.