What's new

When is the next system update coming out?

kodos

I love this machine but it has several power management issues and small quirks I am hoping Microsoft fixes soon. Any word on when the next firmware update is?

Also, I really miss hibernate. Pulled my Surface out of my bag when I got to work yesterday to find that it was down 30% in battery life. Ugh.

WorldIRC

I love this machine but it has several power management issues and small quirks I am hoping Microsoft fixes soon. Any word on when the next firmware update is?

Also, I really miss hibernate. Pulled my Surface out of my bag when I got to work yesterday to find that it was down 30% in battery life. Ugh.

I miss the hibernate too -- I'll put it to sleep and 4 hours later, I lost 10-15%.

Geneo

Yea, when is "super Tuesday"?
My only complaint isn't with the Surface itself, but I'd like to be able to always to Start instead of Desktop when I quit an app. Pet Peeve #1.

Pet Peeve #2 is not being able to choose if the IE on the Start screen loads addons/plugins or not.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My only complaint isn't with the Surface itself, but I'd like to be able to always to Start instead of Desktop when I quit an app. Pet Peeve #1.

Pet Peeve #2 is not being able to choose if the IE on the Start screen loads addons/plugins or not.

Are you saying that when you close an App it goes to the desktop rather than back to the Start Screen or vice versa? If it is going to the desktop and you want to go back to Start you need to clear a checkbox in the taskbar properties....

Right click on a blank spot on the Taskbar on the desktop and select properties, on the Taskbar Tab clear the checkbox that say "Show Windows Store Apps on the Taskbar", if it is the opposite you want to accomplish, check the box....

pcom

So, you're saying the option does two things: shows metro/modern UI apps on the desktop's taskbar AND returns you to the desktop when you quit a modern app? That's sure counterintuitive.

drolem

Not sure if there's a better way, but "shutdown -h" works just fine for me. You can create a shortcut to execute it.

ipaq_101

When I am going to not use the SP3 for a couple of hours I just everytime, it takes 5 seconds to boot up.

I can see where it may be a problem for people who like to keep things open all the time.

tuchas

Tested this overnight. Charged to 100%. Closed the lid, let it go to sleep. This morning at 10am I opened the lid and it was in hibernation. Started it back up and I only lost 2% of battery.

To go back to the START screen in Metro after closing an app, you have to right click the taskbar in desktop mode, there will be an option to uncheck "Go to Desktop after closing App instead of Start Screen"..something of that nature. The other option has nothing to do with this one.

#2 - You can adjust the addons/plugins by adjusting that option under the Internet Explorer in Desktop mode.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So, you're saying the option does two things: shows metro/modern UI apps on the desktop's taskbar AND returns you to the desktop when you quit a modern app? That's sure counterintuitive.

Correct...

OP
K

kodos

Mine lost about 20% on the way to work - maybe it got jostled in the bag and turned itself on. But I was quite upset, because I can eke a full day out of it if I am at 100%, not at 80%. Good thing that I decided to bring the charger with me on the first week "just in case" while I get used to its power management.

I was really comfortable with the SP2 + Power Cover because that could last me almost two full days by using hibernate and the keyboard's power supply. The SP3 can barely do a day for me.