What's new

When is the next system update coming out?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
BTW - I received the Firmware Update about 45 minutes after installing the normal updates, it appears to have fixed the WiFi on battery bug....

Geneo

Doesn't work.
I tried the above solutions, but it always goes back to desktop no matter what program I close (or options are checked). Oh well.

The desktop version of IE loads addons/plugins (like Lastpass), the Start version of IE won't. I've check online and these are two common problems. It's a Windows thing, and I'm getting used to it. Hopefully MS will fix it in the future.

Back OT, when is Super Tuesday, or when does MS come out with updates? Is there a 'regular' schedule?
Oh, nevermind. A new update for the system and firmware is just coming out.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't work.
I tried the above solutions, but it always goes back to desktop no matter what program I close (or options are checked). Oh well.

The desktop version of IE loads addons/plugins (like Lastpass), the Start version of IE won't. I've check online and these are two common problems. It's a Windows thing, and I'm getting used to it. Hopefully MS will fix it in the future.

Back OT, when is Super Tuesday, or when does MS come out with updates? Is there a 'regular' schedule?
Oh, nevermind. A new update for the system and firmware is just coming out.

Updates for Windows and the rest of the MS Portfolio are released on the 2nd Tuesday of the Month, but MS reserves the right to release Out of Band Updates they deem critical.

The other thing that could be returning you to the desktop is same Control Panel as above, but select the Navigation Tab and uncheck the "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen go to the desktop instead of Start" option. Also some older Win32 Applications can cause this behavior.

drolem

When I am going to not use the SP3 for a couple of hours I just everytime, it takes 5 seconds to boot up.

I can see where it may be a problem for people who like to keep things open all the time.
Unless there is a reason for a clean start, I always do hibernate because it will take me back to the same state that was present before hibernation (open apps and all that), plus with hibernate I don't need to worry about possible S3 or CS bugs, and the possibility of excess battery drain.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I received around 890 MBs of Windows and Office Updates first then the Firmware Update...

JesseDiaz

I received around 890 MBs of Windows and Office Updates first then the Firmware Update...
Hmm...I havent received one single office update since I got the SP3 on June 20th....
Somthing must be wrong with mine....
And still no dang firmware! :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using the version that came pre-installed with the Surface it is the Click 2 Run version and it uses Application Virtualization and this version uses a Streaming Update, so to force an update, open on of the products and click on the File Tab and select Account and there should be a button that says Update Now....

I uninstalled that version as it is 32bit and I need 64bit for my Data Models....