What's new

Where is new Windows?

demandarin

Installed and working great. As always. I haven't had a single issue with my 128gb pro since I first got it almost a year ago. Still love this tablet.

gangolfus

^^^ Are you kidding me? Have you not been reading these forum? Everything from battery problems to WiFi to me having trouble with IE11 now and other NUMEROUS quirks that people have been posting all over these forums. I guess someone hasn't been paying attention or reading... :rolleyes:

So why don't you roll back to the previous "flawless" version and turn off updates...

Deckyon

Mine has had no issues. Zero. These are forums, where people generally only point out what is wrong or what broke. If something works, there is generally not a reason to ask why.

macmee

Mine has had no issues. Zero. These are forums, where people generally only point out what is wrong or what broke. If something works, there is generally not a reason to ask why.

Microsoft ran out of exchange units in December because so many people requested exchanges.

These $1500 products are made by the most incompetent consumer tech company in the world. They can't even do updates properly, the firmware disaster of December was completely unacceptable.

macmee

How do you know they ran out of exchange units? Is there an article about this somewhere?

There was some article on it (will look for it later) and they also told me this on the phone when I was speaking to them about getting an advanced exchange. I finally got my exchange, 1 month later and it was a unit even older than mine with lighting problems, clearly a refurbished unit itself. I sent it back.

This company is a joke, and they're what convinces users that the Apple premium is worth it. Atleast if I bought a Macbook Air, it would just fucking work.

gangolfus

This company is a joke, and they're what convinces users that the Apple premium is worth it. Atleast if I bought a Macbook Air, it would just fucking work.

Why do you continue to own a product you so clearly loathe?

I'd be shocked if there weren't an equivalent forum filled with people complaining about issues with their Macbook Airs.

macmee

Why do you continue to own a product you so clearly loathe?

I'd be shocked if there weren't an equivalent forum filled with people complaining about issues with their Macbook Airs.

Because eventually I assumed Microsoft would fix obvious bugs which they have not done.

Moreover yes there probably are unsatisfied Macbook Air users, but I've had far more issues with my Surface in several months than I have with my macbook in 4 years.

beq

Okay, so I'm surprised nobody has talked about this... but how do we take advantage of the "smaller os footprint" of this version of windows, 64gb Pro users must be interested in this. Is it just a matter of them turning a bunch of stuff off/uninstalling extra junk by default on new installs that we already did as soon as our surfaces came out of the box? Has anybody noticed any space savings after updating (I'm waiting for my surface to update now, already did my desktop).

I was wondering this myself. Do existing PCs updating to 8.1 Update 1 see a smaller Windows footprint afterward (after deleting the temp files and VSS copies), or does the space saving only apply to new PCs and fresh installs?

We only have 256GB and 512GB SP2 units, but I'm still curious...

beq

Click to Run Office is updated separately...usually through the Application or through a Prompt in the Task Tray...

Thanks jnjroach, that's how it has worked for me too. I was just curious about the large Office updates you mentioned, I'd assumed you were using Office 365 subscription?

And thanks for all your info.

beq

Windows 8.1 Update 1 has mostly gone off without a hitch for us, although one SP2 unit did scare me (still does?).

That unit seemed to get stuck on the purple install screen at 75% for a looong time, such that the screen turned off by itself but it was actually still working. Then it seemed to get stuck on the purple "Restarting..." screen also for a long time.

Then it repeated this long purple screen sequence multiple times (75%, restarting, etc). I finally left it alone, and when I came back after awhile, it seems to have finished and booted normally.

But a few times since then, this unit had gotten hung when trying to reboot (stuck at the purple "Restarting" screen). Before getting to that screen it would sometimes complain about a process not being able to shut down, named something like "cwnptransportimpl..." (I forgot to write it down).

I hope it's not something hardware-related needing a swap :(