What's new

Where is new Windows?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well at 11:58 my Surface Pro was finally given the update and it seems to have worked just fine.
But my desktop will not install the update.
It says it is downloading but never gets it and throws an error and the instructions for dealing with the error contains instructions that don't exist.
It says to use the Command Prompt and type in: DISM.exe /Online / Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and there is no such command as Cleanup-image.
When I try to run it I get an error and it tells me to type DISM.exe /? to get a list of available commands and there is no such command.
Way to go Microsoft!!

One time it did say it was downloading and showed a small percentage and I walked out of the room ( mistake ) and when I came back the trusty error message was displayed. And, of course, the instructions tell me to do something that I can't do because the command doesn't exist.

Any suggestions?

PS I am typing this on the Desktop computer with Windows 8.1 ... so far it hasn't failed to run despite the corrupted attempts to download or whatever the problem(s) are.

Last edited:

f4f

Successfully installed.

I already "liked" the settings-tip by jnjroach just want to give him a +1 in the comments.thanks!

The search icon on the start screen is cool on my PC; redundant on my surface, can I get rid of it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well at 11:58 my Surface Pro was finally given the update and it seems to have worked just fine.
But my desktop will not install the update.
It says it is downloading but never gets it and throws an error and the instructions for dealing with the error contains instructions that don't exist.
It says to use the Command Prompt and type in: DISM.exe /Online / Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and there is no such command as Cleanup-image.
When I try to run it I get an error and it tells me to type DISM.exe /? to get a list of available commands and there is no such command.
Way to go Microsoft!!

One time it did say it was downloading and showed a small percentage and I walked out of the room ( mistake ) and when I came back the trusty error message was displayed. And, of course, the instructions tell me to do something that I can't do because the command doesn't exist.

Any suggestions?

PS I am typing this on the Desktop computer with Windows 8.1 ... so far it hasn't failed to run despite the corrupted attempts to download or whatever the problem(s) are.

On the command line execution string, remove the space between "/ Cleanup-image" so it is "/Cleanup-image"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Successfully installed.

I already "liked" the settings-tip by jnjroach just want to give him a +1 in the comments.thanks!

The search icon on the start screen is cool on my PC; redundant on my surface, can I get rid of it?

Not that I know of....it was a feature request by desktop users...

kristalsoldier

Weird, on the desktop it is the default behavior but on a Touchscreen device it isn't supposed to do that...

Yeah...very odd. on the Surface. It even feels odd on the desktop machine. I wish this was user customizable. I hope MS fixes this soon because it make the user experience quite jarring.

Edit: So, on your Surface 2 it works fine - like its supposed to by defaulting back to the Start Screen when you close an app?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah...very odd. on the Surface. It even feels odd on the desktop machine. I wish this was user customizable. I hope MS fixes this soon because it make the user experience quite jarring.

It is user customizable, with that check box....

Update 1 Tablet vs Desktop.JPG

f4f

Edit: So, on your Surface 2 it works fine - like its supposed to by defaulting back to the Start Screen when you close an app?

So I just checked it out and you're right: it doesn't go back to the start screen. It goes to the desktop which is strange because it's not "open" or hasn't been "opened." I double checked the settings in the control panel and restarted my surface. It still goes back to the desktop after closing all apps. That's weird and annoying.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Yes...but all of my machines are Tablets, so I'm not synching with a desktop which is where I believe that setting came from impacting your experience....

kristalsoldier

It is user customizable, with that check box....

View attachment 1941

Thanks. What does "Closing App takes user to the previously used App" - under the tablet AND non-tablet sections? What if I begin with the Start Screen? Is that an app? Or, what if I am in the desktop screen, is that also considered to be an app?

I do think there is a bug with this.

kristalsoldier

Yes...but all of my machines are Tablets, so I'm not synching with a desktop which is where I believe that setting came from impacting your experience....

OK. Let me try killing the Sync on the tablet and lets see what happens.

Edit: Does not seem to make a difference.

Last edited: