What's new

Win 10 any better at scaling? adobe photo programs are killing my eyes!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft could force older apps to use a lower resolution, then problem would be solved.
Um, OK....So those of us who while in desktop with multiple windows open decide to launch a legacy style application in all of sudden we get dumped into a 4:3 legacy resolution? Or are you suggesting that all XP GDI Scaled Applications are forced into a "Sandbox" that fakes a lower resolution?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My livelihood is based on getting outdated software to run on Windows boxes. So it's been great for my career. As a user though I really see it holding back the industry and ultimately could be Microsoft undoing. A non-technical person like my wife see a blurry application on my SP3 and says that looks horrible what's wrong with your laptop. Yes, she calls it a laptop. Maybe Microsoft could start defining resolutions that scale up in even multiples so things would scale up cleanly.
XP GDI Scaling isn't capable of this....(16:10 was on the cutting edge during this era, resolutions on the high end were 1440x1050 most were 1280x1024 or 1024x768)

Reactions: Kif

Kif

XP GDI Scaling isn't capable of this....(16:10 was on the cutting edge during this era, resolutions on the high end were 1440x1050 most were 1280x1024 or 1024x768)

Bummers. Thanks for the information though. That's what I love about this industry there is always more to learn.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WPF which introduced Vista Style Scaling was created specifically because in 2004-2006 we were seeing the 1680x1200 and the HD\Full HD screens being shipped and allowed for high resoltuion and high DPI Screens. Windows had it first, but required developers to migrate their visuals to the new code base, heck it took Adobe a decade to migrate their code base...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe we will need to keep that old crappy monitor around to run our old crappy apps on or a cheap new crappy monitor.

silkrooster

A different monitor is not required. Lowering the resolution is the equivalent. My thought is older apps may need a rewrite to update the UI. But Microsoft could force any app that does not comply to use the highest resolution it was designed to use. Then all modern apps are free to scale at the highest resolution of the current monitor or surface screen.
It is just a thought for a work around.

silkrooster

Um, OK....So those of us who while in desktop with multiple windows open decide to launch a legacy style application in all of sudden we get dumped into a 4:3 legacy resolution? Or are you suggesting that all XP GDI Scaled Applications are forced into a "Sandbox" that fakes a lower resolution?
Just thinking about this. And you do have a point. that app would have to be full screen for that solution to work. Hmm...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A different monitor is not required. Lowering the resolution is the equivalent. My thought is older apps may need a rewrite to update the UI. But Microsoft could force any app that does not comply to use the highest resolution it was designed to use. Then all modern apps are free to scale at the highest resolution of the current monitor or surface screen.
It is just a thought for a work around.
I thought about that and this is where it seems to get troublesome... bear with me as I do a thought experiment.
If I carve out 1024x768 pixels to render my window it becomes quite small on the high DPI screen and likely unusable. If I attempt to map 1024x768 onto some other grid of pixels this is where fuzzy and distorted comes into the picture as it may not precisely match or scale well depending on what size I choose. YMMV.

Thus using a legacy dpi screen allows me to perfectly render the legacy app. No its not ideal as a mobile user unless you have say another low resolution tablet/screen to project to. Those $99 tablets are suddenly looking attractive for some use cases. However as an office solution it should be very good for those that need to run legacy apps frequently.