What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, have my primary installs I carry around on a 256GB PNY Attache, keep 60GB of primary installs up on Sync.com as a backup as well.

Have gone back in time learning how to live on 256GB only. Haven't pulled the trigger on upgrading to a 512GB SP3 yet 'til I see what they do with the SP4 though if they really do come out with a 1TB unit per some of the rumors I'm sure it's going to be pillage and plunder on the unit's cost.

And it'll only be on a 16gb model meaning yuove got to pay an extra 300 for the ram upgrade as well. I can understand their reasoning, money, but I thought it so annoying that I could only get the 256gb model if I also paid for an unwanted ram upgrade as well.

Kris

I just tried using it, but its not entirely brilliant. I found that it just changes the colour based on what colour the taskbar would overlap. So I've an almost entirely red background, but because of a little bit of blue sky (I have taskbar at top of screen) it selects a blue theme, which doesn't quite mesh. Maybe they should have the option to have it select colour based on what it will cover up, or select colour based on the general colour of the background, kind of like when you can filter Google images by colour and it just finds the most dominant colour.
Ya noticed that too, dislike that and the option missing to randomize desktop backgrounds when set to slideshow.

mitchellvii

Windows 10 coding question guys.

Right now when automating emails from my Access Database using Visual Basic. I'm using the following to create a new instance of Outlook 2007 (i.e., 12):

Set objOutlook = New Outlook.Application
Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do this with the Windows 10 Email Client and what the code would be? Thanks in advance.

alissaknight

Anyone else having problems with Windows 10 + Skype for Business?
I am running into an issue where if I am on a video call -- roughly after a few minutes the video starts repeating itself then finally cuts off.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I have to close Skype and re-open it and reinitiate the call. I know SFB just came out, but don't know if its a bug with WIN10 or SFB. And if it is, I wonder if its because I'm running out of memory? I do have the 8GB SP3, so.... anyone else seeing this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else having problems with Windows 10 + Skype for Business?
I am running into an issue where if I am on a video call -- roughly after a few minutes the video starts repeating itself then finally cuts off.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I have to close Skype and re-open it and reinitiate the call. I know SFB just came out, but don't know if its a bug with WIN10 or SFB. And if it is, I wonder if its because I'm running out of memory? I do have the 8GB SP3, so.... anyone else seeing this?
Its a bug in Skype for Business or I've also seen corrupted install with Skype for Business that required uninstalling and cleaning all the meta-data...

frosty

Got win10 10074 installed on m SP3 doing a clean install, all seems ok except that once left alone turned on for awhile when returing to use if it is locked up with screen off. It is still turned on as tapping the ms logo on right side i can feel it vibrates, but nothing else no screen no nothing.
i have to hold down power buton for about 30 seconds then power backon.
Anyone else having this issue.
Tks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got win10 10074 installed on m SP3 doing a clean install, all seems ok except that once left alone turned on for awhile when returing to use if it is locked up with screen off. It is still turned on as tapping the ms logo on right side i can feel it vibrates, but nothing else no screen no nothing.
Tks

Seems to be a common bug. with mine if i hold the power button, the screen comes back on but only to allow me to slide down to turn off.

Strangely, even if my device is turned off somehow the windows button still gives haptic feedback.

Felyne

After all those positive comments about Win 10 I installed it yesterday on my SP3. :)
Fan only came on, when it installed the updates, other than that it was as quiet as it was with Win 8.1.

I have one question though:

Does the Surface app not work in Windows 10? I already uninstalled and installed it several times (Windows Store and Windows Store Beta), but when I want to start the app, it crashes instantly.

Is this a known bug? Or is there a way to fix this?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
After all those positive comments about Win 10 I installed it yesterday on my SP3. :)
Fan only came on, when it installed the updates, other than that it was as quiet as it was with Win 8.1.

I have one question though:

Does the Surface app not work in Windows 10? I already uninstalled and installed it several times (Windows Store and Windows Store Beta), but when I want to start the app, it crashes instantly.

Is this a known bug? Or is there a way to fix this?
All i know is that it doesn't work with mine.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Internet Explorer "Add Site to Apps" is working very well with Build 10074.
Another reason why I'm not on or over the Edge yet.

To pin a URL to Apps, use the Internet Explorer Tools menu. The site URL you save in this way is stored as a .website text file, which can be edited.

NOTE:
Regarding Microsoft Surface Forums in particular, if you like to launch directly into the URL for ACTIVE TOPICS, you cannot merely access the link shown on the page. This is because the link is dynamically changed with each visit according to the context of your reading history at that time. If you merely try to add this to 'Favorites', for example, an improper URL is posted, and will need editing. The proper link for ACTIVE TOPICS is
Code:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/find-new/posts?recent=1

Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (35).png

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png

r0b123

I haven't done any long video calls with Skype for Business so I haven't seen the video repeat issue (yet).

I really like how Microsoft is pushing users to discover and try new features or flush out issues with Quests. It's like a game even though I'm not a gamer, but like giving feedback and the progress that Windows 10 is making. Build 10074 is really looking stable and being polished in many areas.
Screenshot (65).png Screenshot (66).png

wynand32

Tks

Yep, this is my biggest issue with Windows 10 at this point, and it was there in the build prior to 10074 as well. It's a huge frustration and really the only show-stopper for me.

Otherwise, Windows 10 is finally to the point where I'm enjoying using my SP3 as a tablet again, and where it's finally at least as pleasant to use as Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.