What's new

A couple SP3 problems I haven't seen mentioned.

bluegrass

I have seen the problem #1 on two SP3's now & problem #2 on one of my users. I'd like to know if anybody else has had any of these problems.

1. After booting, the mouse pointer or using the touch screen isn't able to select anything. Touching , left or right clicking on a tile doesn't do anything. My solution: shutdown and reboot the computer.

2. The clock seems to be stopping. My solution: I set the correct time and date on the users computer yesterday and today it seems to have stopped. I'm still researching the problem.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I saw item 1 after the 8/12 updates. I figure it was a side effect of the ill behaved updates. Read through the uninstall steps for those, decided not to do that. I hand some other issues after the 8/12 updates as well. since the bad updates were pulled I decided to Refresh which seems to have cleared up the issues I was having... although it may be too soon to be 100% sure.

malberttoo

I have seen the problem #1 on two SP3's now & problem #2 on one of my users. I'd like to know if anybody else has had any of these problems.

1. After booting, the mouse pointer or using the touch screen isn't able to select anything. Touching , left or right clicking on a tile doesn't do anything. My solution: shutdown and reboot the computer.

2. The clock seems to be stopping. My solution: I set the correct time and date on the users computer yesterday and today it seems to have stopped. I'm still researching the problem.

#1 I think may have happened to me. Once maybe. If a reboot fixes it, awesome.

Have not seen or heard of #2 before now.

OP
B

bluegrass

Thanks guys. I'm not so worried about needing to reboot once in awhile for the pointer selection problem. I can just warn my users to reboot if it occurs. I need to get my hands on the customer's Surface to check out the clock problem. I'm afraid that may be a problem where the Surface might need to be returned. I hope it's within Best Buy's return for replacement time frame. Is there a simple way to watch if the clock is ticking seconds away?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I'm not so worried about needing to reboot once in awhile for the pointer selection problem. I can just warn my users to reboot if it occurs. I need to get my hands on the customer's Surface to check out the clock problem. I'm afraid that may be a problem where the Surface might need to be returned. I hope it's within Best Buy's return for replacement time frame. Is there a simple way to watch if the clock is ticking seconds away?
Hmm, I'm going to say... click the clock on the task bar.
You might want to try a refresh could be one of those weird things... maybe its doing the Rip Van Winkle sleep mode. :)

wynand32

I actually had #2 happen on my desktop after the updates. Noticed the time was off because Tweetium for Win 8.1 wouldn't connect. Reset the time manually, then it happened the next day. Hasn't happened again.

The fact that it happened on my desktop makes me pretty sure it's not limited to the SP3.

ipaq_101

The clock issue happened after one of the updates, here is how I fixed it:

Click the clock -> Change date and time settings -> Internet Time -> Change Settings -> Check Synchronize (time.windows.com) -> Update now

That will resync the time and you shouldn't have any more time problems.

adrians

The problem with the time is due to the default time synchronization server set for the SP3 (time.windows.com) having some issues. Happened to me as well. I switched to using time.nist.gove and haven't had any more lapses. ipaq_101 mentioned how to get to the appropriate settings, above.

OP
B

bluegrass

The clock issue happened after one of the updates, here is how I fixed it:

Click the clock -> Change date and time settings -> Internet Time -> Change Settings -> Check Synchronize (time.windows.com) -> Update now

That will resync the time and you shouldn't have any more time problems.

After I click on clock than change date & time settings, I don't see Internet Time. All I see is a "Change date & time" button and a "Change time zone button" plus a check box for "Notify me when the clock changes" under the Time Zone section.

I set the date & time again yesterday for my client and it seems to be holding now. Since our systems or on an active directory domain, the time may be controlled by the domain server. I'm not sure though.