What's new

Any way to improve color depth?

tuchas

I know this has been asked before, but the color depth is terrible when watching video on this device. Whenever there are dark images the color shows horribly. Microsoft should have fixed this issue months ago and it's still a problem. I don't want to go to a different Intel driver but if I have to, how would I do this and would it even make a difference?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For photos, fine. Watch a recorded movie or TV show, without this fix it can look like crap.

Really just depends what you are accustomed to. It's rather entering the audophile category. I doubt 1% of mobile device users give a second thought to colour accuracy when watching youtube. I've used my surface for one or two films, nothing about it every screamed crap to me. Not to mention regardless if there is a "perfect colour replication", colour is completely subjective. I bought a new tv this year, and every review i saw on it said it was brilliant, but only if you set the colour mode to cinema. So i set it to cinema, i thought it looked like crap so set it to its default setting, which was supposedly crap, and am much much happier with the results. Which goes back to my point about audiophiles. There is no right or wrong. Some people like the sound produced by a japanese receiver, others not.

No different to people installing the intel gpu driver so they can get their inky silky smooth blacks. It's never bothered me in the slightest, i find that blacks look just fine. No racial connotations intended :p

bluegrass

Ditto Hughlle. 99% of the SP3 users could give a crap about improving the color they see on the Surface screen, which I think looks great. Haven't heard anyone say that those beautiful backgrounds that Colorado posts look like crap unless you fine tune the colors.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Well that's your opinion. I have an iPad that's much better with color depth, but I'd rather stick to one device that does it all. That's all I'm asking. Kudos to the 1% who like some better color depth when watching a darn movie.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, displaymate, by all means a reputable site, are claiming the colour accuracy to be one of the best there is. Maybe this reflects on what i stated earlier. Personal preference. Just because you are of the opinion that the ipad is much better, well it doesn't mean it is. It could simply mean that you prefer the ipad colour reproduction whether it's better or not.

bluegrass

Ain't that the flippin' truth. In my opinion far too many people state things as facts on this board, when they are really their opinion. It's my opinion that the Surface does a fantastic job of displaying color objects, be it movies, pictures, paintings, etc. There is nothing wrong with inserting in a statement, "in my opinion".

Don't over do it though. Just a thought when you're stating something pretty controversial and there aren't hard cold facts to substantiate it.

Last edited: