What's new

Approximate estimate of battery lifetime

Tekn0

Considering daily usage of the Surface Pro 2 (not gaming) but browsing, painting, drawing apps etc. for average of 4 hours and charging it at 10% each time per cycle. how long do you think the SP2's battery will last until the unit becomes near unusable?

Again, I'm NOT knocking on the fact that the SP2's battery is non-replaceable but just want to know how many years I can expect to keep this device going.

Also, how many years do you think by YOUR usage pattern will the SP2 will last?

mennogreg

If I understand correctly, this is the same battery found in iPads. I have had an iPad 3 for two years. Considering one almost full charge per day, as I have done with my iPad, I went from about 10hrs when I first got it, to about 8hrs on it now. My Surface Pro 2 gets between 8-9 hours now, so if two years from now its 6-7 hours, I'd still find that more than useable. Though at that point it'll likely be less than 2hrs battery life if I do any intensive gaming. I use an external battery bank to charge the Pro, which provides me with all day power when I'm on the road. Hopefully this will all be rendered mute with the release of the Power Cover, which will in effect act as a replaceable battery.

Last edited:

bluegrass

If I understand correctly, this is the same battery found in iPads. I have had an iPad 3 for two years. Considering one almost full charge per day, as I have done with my iPad, I went from about 10hrs when I first got it, to about 8hrs on it now. My Surface Pro 2 gets between 8-9 hours now, so if two years from now its 6-7 hours, I'd still find that more than useable. Though at that point it'll likely be less than 2hrs battery life if I do any intensive gaming. I use an external battery bank to charge the Pro, which provides me with all day power when I'm on the road. Hopefully this will all be rendered mute with the release of the Power Cover, which will in effect act as a replaceable battery.

I assume your battery bank provides you with AC to plug in the Surface Power adaptor, otherwise I don't see how you could charge or run the Surface with a battery bank. I guess someday there will be after market battery packs that come with Microsoft's proprietary power connecter.

mennogreg

I use the battery bank sold by Micgyver (an Intocircuit 26000mah battery bank with a third-party connector to the Surface).