What's new

Backup Only New and Changed Files

MickeyLittle

Back in my DOS days I has a Batch file that I had written or probably received from someone that allowed me to copy backup all my documents from various folders from drive c: to various folders on drive a: But to same time it would only backup new files and files that had changed.

We have a large portable HD and want to do the same with my wife's laptop as she has about 600 GB of iTunes media, another 50 GB of photos, and 10 GB of various documents. This is a WD HD but I am not sure if there is any software for it any longer as we have had it for a year now.

Is there some app or software I can get that will allow me to do what I am looking for:
1) Plug the portable HD in say monthly
2) Click a button to start the backup process
3) Only backup new and changed files to her documents folder, iTunes library, and photos library

If so backing up should take 5-6 minutes and if not 5-6 hours or more.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend “Second Copy”
Automatic backup software - secure data with Second Copy

Though I use a batch file.

EXAMPLE MyBackups.BAT
Code:
@echo off
xcopy “C:\Users\me\mp3\*.*” “D:\backup\mp3” /D /Y /S
xcopy “C:\Users\me\photos\*.*” “D:\backup\photos” /D /Y /S
xcopy “C:\Users\me\Documents\*.*” “D:\backup\Documents” /D /Y /S
xcopy “C:\MySpecialStuff\*.*” “D:\backup\stuff” /D /Y /S
@exit

Place as many xcopy commands as you need.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I'll have to read up on creating a batch file as that is the way I want to go with this but you have to run it from the command prompt correct? There is still no way to create a desktop icon to run the batch file is there?

Maybe I'll be better off getting Second Copy as it's on $30 and once I set up the parameters it should remember them even if the hard drive only gets plugged in once a month.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Create the file with Notepad by right-clicking desktop, New, Text document. Then when finished, save as "All Files", giving it the name (name).BAT . Then store a copy of it on your desktop. Double-click it to run.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Well I can't get it to work as it's been quite a while. Here is what I'm putting. Pease tell me what I'm missing. I'm just trying to get it to do 1 folder then I'll know I'm on the way to success.

@echo off
xcopy “C:/users/micke/documents/home/*.*” “D:/backups/home/*.*" /D /Y /S

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you pay attention to upper and lower case letters in folder names. For example, I believe “documents” is likely “Docunents”.

Also, check your slashes (back slash vs forward slash).

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Make sure you pay attention to upper and lower case letters in folder names. For example, I believe “documents” is likely “Docunents”.

Also, check your slashes (back slash vs forward slash).
Been out of town today but I'll make these adjustments and let you know.