What's new

Battery Degradation

Liam2349

It's funny you say that because in this experiment, I got better battery life when using Goggle vs. IE. (see my previous posts in this thread)

I don't know if you've ever done full run-downs on your battery before, but this will definitely be improving your battery life.

Using IE Metro I can get about 9 hours at 40% brightness.

VickiFL

I don't know if you've ever done full run-downs on your battery before, but this will definitely be improving your battery life.

Using IE Metro I can get about 9 hours at 40% brightness.

I have, several times actually. I like to use it plugged in most of the time, but I did a bunch of charges and drains over this past weekend, really working the battery. I won't do that again for a while, though.

Chris Grew

I try to run the battery down once a week on all my laptops.

As an electronics engineer I appreciate the benefit to the battery in doing this.

It helps to get into a routine.

Regards

Chris

Tatletz

For the past 2 weeks I have these reports from both BatteryBar and cmd generated, despite draining the battery until it shuts down(in most cases) :(

battery report.PNG
Capture.PNG

ChiGGz

Is there any official word if SP3 supports battery bypass, like if I keep my SP3 plugged in for extended period of time it draws its power directly from the A/C if the battery is at 100% .

Would be REALLY nice if I can cap charging at 80% if I know I won't be unplugging the SP3 for a week or more. But I assume this would be logic that would have to carry into offline charging (when you turn the sp3 off)

Liam2349

Is there any official word if SP3 supports battery bypass, like if I keep my SP3 plugged in for extended period of time it draws its power directly from the A/C if the battery is at 100% .

Would be REALLY nice if I can cap charging at 80% if I know I won't be unplugging the SP3 for a week or more. But I assume this would be logic that would have to carry into offline charging (when you turn the sp3 off)

Interesting question - I too would love to know.

I know the Sony laptops used to come with software to cap charging at 50 or 80%, but this has never been a feature with Surface. This battery bypass feature sounds useful, but I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's supported.

If you charge your SP3 fully, Windows should tell you that you're running on A/C, however it's still not entirely clear what that means.

kristalsoldier

Interesting question - I too would love to know.

I know the Sony laptops used to come with software to cap charging at 50 or 80%, but this has never been a feature with Surface. This battery bypass feature sounds useful, but I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's supported.

If you charge your SP3 fully, Windows should tell you that you're running on A/C, however it's still not entirely clear what that means.

That is does - I mean - telling us that the SP3 is running on A?C. But as you say, no idea what exactly that means. This would be a damn good feature, if available on the Surface though!!!

wynand32

When I was using my iPad2 daily on the web it didn't last all day without needing a charge but yes, if you don't use it that much then the battery will last longer.

What your really saying is: the useful utility you achieved out of your iPad2 in a week amounted to about a days worth of use (aprox 7-8 hours), what you did the rest of the time is anyone's guess.

I've always been impressed with the iPad's standby battery life. Of course, it's doing pretty much nothing while sleeping, but it's admittedly very nice to pick up my iPad Air 2 when I haven't used it for a couple of days and seeing it at 99% charge.

That said, of course an iPad of reasonable age will get much better life than an SP3. I should hope so, given the differences. 12.5" screen, Intel Core processor, desktop-class RAM and SSD, etc., etc. Everything about the iPad is engineered to sip power, which is not and should not be the case with the SP3. I'd much rather have a machine that offers decent battery life and full power when I need it than one that's been crippled just to last as long as possible on a charge.

I like my iPad, and use it for very specific reasons (such as, because I just don't feel confident carrying my SP3 around with me quite as much, being a $1500 investment). But longer battery life isn't something I consider to be such a huge advantage given how much more my SP3 is capable of doing.

kristalsoldier

I've always been impressed with the iPad's standby battery life. Of course, it's doing pretty much nothing while sleeping, but it's admittedly very nice to pick up my iPad Air 2 when I haven't used it for a couple of days and seeing it at 99% charge.

That said, of course an iPad of reasonable age will get much better life than an SP3. I should hope so, given the differences. 12.5" screen, Intel Core processor, desktop-class RAM and SSD, etc., etc. Everything about the iPad is engineered to sip power, which is not and should not be the case with the SP3. I'd much rather have a machine that offers decent battery life and full power when I need it than one that's been crippled just to last as long as possible on a charge.

I like my iPad, and use it for very specific reasons (such as, because I just don't feel confident carrying my SP3 around with me quite as much, being a $1500 investment). But longer battery life isn't something I consider to be such a huge advantage given how much more my SP3 is capable of doing.

Agreed on all counts. My iPad Air serves as a glorified e-reader and rarely as an internet device - for that I have my SP3 and my L1520. But it is very reassuring to know that I don't need to charge the iPad frequently. But the trade-off is that it really can't do to much more - and I say this with specific reference to my work and usage patterns. The SP3, on the other hand, provides me with an average of 8-8.5 hours of battery life (recently this average was dipping, but I refreshed the device and it seems to have gone back to its normal behaviour). This is enough for what I use it for. Of course, ideally, I would like to have a 10-hour battery, which may be possible with the next edition of the Surface (at least I hope so). The L1520 is in a completely different league, of course and I use it extensively for a lot of cyber-loafing and other related stuff!!!

delair

Agreed on all counts. My iPad Air serves as a glorified e-reader and rarely as an internet device - for that I have my SP3 and my L1520. But it is very reassuring to know that I don't need to charge the iPad frequently. But the trade-off is that it really can't do to much more - and I say this with specific reference to my work and usage patterns. The SP3, on the other hand, provides me with an average of 8-8.5 hours of battery life (recently this average was dipping, but I refreshed the device and it seems to have gone back to its normal behaviour). This is enough for what I use it for. Of course, ideally, I would like to have a 10-hour battery, which may be possible with the next edition of the Surface (at least I hope so). The L1520 is in a completely different league, of course and I use it extensively for a lot of cyber-loafing and other related stuff!!!

Taking in all the factors - usage/screen etc etc how an earth are you managing to get 8-8.5 hours of battery life! please do share your tips/setup. Also does this include any video/movie viewing.

Thanks