What's new

Bluetooth connection issues

OP
K

Kris

did you check in the device manager as sometimes you need to enable Bluetooth driver as sometimes my Bluetooth stops working
Just had it shut off on me and checked, device manager showed everything was working. it came back on while i was checking and it showed no changes. I think I am going to return this unit tomorrow and see if I just have a defective unit... If not anyone have advice for a replacement for the SP3? I really don't want to go back to an android tablet that can only do half as much.

OP
K

Kris

Did you reinstall the driver?
Rolled it back, Uninstalled it, updated it... nothing seems to work. going to do another full reset and try not to do any updates and see if I can live with it like that. Might also try a newer bluetooth. Was doing a lot of reading on the Microsoft's forums and they said the SP3 doesn't like anything that isn't bluetooth 4.0, they also said it doesn't like anything not Microsoft... we will see.

ctitanic

Rolled it back, Uninstalled it, updated it... nothing seems to work. going to do another full reset and try not to do any updates and see if I can live with it like that. Might also try a newer bluetooth. Was doing a lot of reading on the Microsoft's forums and they said the SP3 doesn't like anything that isn't bluetooth 4.0, they also said it doesn't like anything not Microsoft... we will see.
Keep us posted of any findings.

OP
K

Kris

Reset once again, as long if you don't update anything there seems to be no bluetooth issues. I only updated the firmware to 8/19, no others were available, bluetooth issues started right away. Been hard to do much of anything else since charter internet has been down all day. I might have a newer bluetooth headset being brought to me tonight, 4.0 instead of the 3.0 I have been using, I will see if that makes any difference.

malberttoo

Reset once again, as long if you don't update anything there seems to be no bluetooth issues. I only updated the firmware to 8/19, no others were available, bluetooth issues started right away. Been hard to do much of anything else since charter internet has been down all day. I might have a newer bluetooth headset being brought to me tonight, 4.0 instead of the 3.0 I have been using, I will see if that makes any difference.

I would like to hear the outcome of this.

OP
K

Kris

Sad to say a newer device did not work. I updated drivers and firmware on the device and it still didn't help. If anyone wants to know I have tried plantronics voyager legend first, which is usb 3.0, and then tried a plantronics edge ,which is usb 4.0,. I updated the driver for both on the SP3 and updated the firmware on both.

The only way I have been able to keep a bluetooth headset from disconnecting and reconnecting over and over is to install no updates. I might see if I can live with that but I really don't know what other issues the device has without updating the firmware. I may also try and exchange my SP3, read on some other forums that some people are not having these issues... Have a few real tech nerd friends brain storming over the issue too. I will let you know if I, or they, come up with anything. Maybe Microsoft will fix the issue....ya I kind of giggle at that too... As of right now I am giving up for the night, been at it for the last 5 hours.

OP
K

Kris

The new SP3 had the same issues. Just recently I installed all the update, minus the firmware update, and the Bluetooth seems to be be working. I read that a Bluetooth dongle could be used as a work around so I ordered a Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter. Once I get it I will install the firmware update and see if it works, supposed to be delivered sometime around August 28th so I will let you know then if it works or not.

strollin

A dongle may work but seems a shame to waste your single USB port on that. You could always use a USB hub I guess.

OP
K

Kris

huge waste but I am betting in some future update that they will fix the bluetooth issue and it will just be a temp fix. Wish I knew what in the the 8/19 firmware breaks the bluetooth... it works amazingly without it installed.

strollin

I don't use Bluetooth headphones but I have been listening to music all day today on a Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker connected to my SP3 and haven't had it disconnect at all. My SP3 has the all the latest updates.