What's new

Bluetooth Keyboard vrs Type Cover

MDS

Anyone else that already has the touch cover thinking about a Bluetooth keyboard rather than a type cover? Thinking a Bluetooth keyboard would be nice if I have my surface plugged into monitor or tv via hdmi

bosamar

The RT has much potential for Bluetooth options and I'm sure just about all BT keyboards will work fine. On a side note it proves the RT is more than a toy and has actual productivity/business potential.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the MS Wedge Keyboard and Mouse with my Surface but I find my self using the Touch Cover and really haven't used it in weeks.

I used my HP (TouchPad) BT keyboard with the Surface until I got the type cover. I will not go back to a BT keyboard. The type cover works great for me.

OP
MDS

MDS

I have been considering the wedge keyboard or Logitech, illuminated and one that is not. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else that has purchased a bluetooth keyboard for their surface rt.

Tom T

I have a Logitech BT keyboard and although it works fine I find the Type keyboard to be much more convenient. Carrying the Logitech is almost like bringing a second tablet with you, while the type cover is virtually a free ride given its slim profile. Admittedly you can acquire the Logitech for considerably less money but you will pay for it in the long run with the inconvenience.

bosamar

I played with the Wedge mouse and keyboard at the Microsoft store last weekend. Just the Surface, they looked like quality builds.

mesii23

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and a type cover, but I can honestly say that I turn to the type cover much more often.

It is nice to have the keyboard and trackpad all in one attached piece

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Mar

I plan to buy a touch or a type cover because I like the feature of the keyboard being a cover. However I plugged in a wireless Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo that I had lying around and I am enjoying it. The use of a mouse is a must for Excel work, in my opinion, so I like the setup on my table with the keyboard and mouse ready to be "docked" to my Surface. Having said that I still will get a touch/type cover for uses other than my table at home and to act as a cover. It is a beautiful piece of design work with the magnetic click attach.

willmech

I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution mouse and keyboard. They work great, even the majority of the additional functions and audio controls work properly.

OP
MDS

MDS

I went to two stores in an attempt to test out several keyboards.

The Surface type cover was sold old. Compared to other portable keyboards that I'm considering, it sure is nice having the pad on the keyboard to control the curser which the type and touch covers have.

The Microsoft Wedge keyboard felt good when typing on it and I like the cover. I like the idea it works with other tablets to include apple.

The Logitech K810 with backlight was not on display but available so I did not get a change to play with it. I've never owned nor can think of a time when I needed a lite keyboard and I don't like the idea of having to plug it in to charge. But at the right price it might work if one just leaves the back light turned off unless needed, thereby increasing battery life. I like the idea that it works the easiest of what I've seen in terms of pairing with other tablets to include apple. The size is small enough to fit in a bag with the tablet.

Logitech also makes another bluetooth keyboard for windows 8 but from what I can tell it does not work with apple but does with Android. Just like the Wedge it works on batteries which I consider a plus.

The reason I'm considering a bluetooth keyboard is at least two of the ones I looked at are half the price of the surface type cover and as I already own the touch cover it would go to waste. Also, l like the idea of hooking the surface up to the TV, which I've done, and using a keyboard that is not attached to the Surface. I'm getting more used to the touch cover which is fast, but I make a lot of mistakes when typing. Also, my wife has a ipad and could share the keyboard.

Also, I bought a bluetooth mouse which is great for desktop apps such as Excel and Powerpoint.

Last edited:
OP
MDS

MDS

I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution mouse and keyboard. They work great, even the majority of the additional functions and audio controls work properly.

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering a portable bluetooth keyboard only and neglected to state that in my original post.