What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4

GoodBytes

My biggest concern is the price drops. The price on the SP2 dropped like a rock once the 3 came out. Nothing pisses off your customers more when they spend a pretty penny on a device, only to have it drop 40-60% within 3 months. They lose a ton of money.
Technology moves fast. When a new product comes out, the old product needs to be liquidated. So, to do this, they sale the product at cost, or really close to cost. Something they can do as R&D is paid.
In addition, as the Surface Pro includes hardware from manufactures that does the same thing, the drop is larger.

As you can see, the Pro 3 was released, the Pro 2 sold with the price drop, so it allowed people that could not normally afford the product in the first place to now be able to. If you are under such situation, then it's best to wait for the new model to come out, to buy the previous gen. Yes it sucks of not getting the latest and greatest, but that is why you buy what you NEED. Especially in technology. Else you'll be poor in a blink of an eye.. even if you won the loto. Anything that is technology gets better, computers, routers, modems, TVs, your chair, the materials used in your home, heck, even your hammer.

You have to go "This is what I need, and that is good enough/plenty for me, as it such I know I can keep it for many years to come."

kristalsoldier

To add to the excellent post by GoodBytes, I'd say that the key is to strike a balance between a desire and a necessity. This balance is different for everyone and there is no cookie cutter solution.

megatronium

Buy SP3. When SP4 comes out, make a disc image, sell the SP3 and put proceeds towards SP4 and buy it. Restore disc image. Upgrade OS. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Telstar1948

To the OP, there is only one right answer to your post, and that is do what is best for you. You know your situation (tech need, tech desires, disposable income etc.). We only know what WE would do without really knowing your situation.

If you're asking about things for you to consider that someone else may think of that you haven't, then I'm sure you've picked up a few suggestions from this thread already.

My thought? The SP3 is a great device; it does so much while managing to look cool too. But, be content and enjoy what you end up doing - waiting or buying now. We all need some personal peace in some of the few things we get to enjoy, so go with what you probably already know what you will do and be at peace with that.

OP
P

Pack3028

Buy or buy not there is no wait. :D
I bought it on saturday and I love it, its especially nice that I can just bring only the SP3 to work instead of my laptop, laptop charger, much less weight and bulk in my bag. My only issue now is trying to get everything synced over because I come from a Macbook Pro, I am by no means an Apple fan, I have all different devices, I buy a device if I can be productive with it not the brand name.

VMarco

Hi all! I have followed this thread with deep interest.

Due to the nature of work I do, I travel a lot and so am really wanting a fast machine with 4G LTE. The SP2 just does not have the juice. So, in your opinion, would Microsoft be launching SP3 with 4G LTE or even SP4 with 4G LTE?

Thanks,

megatronium

Hi all! I have followed this thread with deep interest.

Due to the nature of work I do, I travel a lot and so am really wanting a fast machine with 4G LTE. The SP2 just does not have the juice. So, in your opinion, would Microsoft be launching SP3 with 4G LTE or even SP4 with 4G LTE?

Thanks,

They did it for S2. Do you have a 4g LTE phone? You could pair your SP3 to that. Otherwise it's wait and see. Haven't heard any rumblings yet.

Last edited: